VHT Guys

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jimmydeez, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I have been think about a VHT Pitbull 45 or the Super 30.

What kind of tones are you guys using them for? How do you set them up for gigs?

Can any of you compare them to the Rivera amp line? I had a Quiana studio and a Suprema. I liked them both but I am looking for a little more tone.

I am using a Black Cat 2x12 right now and it is just killing me lugging the 95lbs beast from practice to shows. While the Black Cat tone is perfect for me I am looking for a smaller amp that is different enough to compliment the Black Cat but similar enough to use in place of the Black Cat.

With the boost function can you set the amp up to give you a good clean, great crunch, and a great lead tone where each is a little louder then the last?

I will probably be looking at a 1x12 combo that I can run with my 1x12 avatar with a Hellatone 60 to get more volume.

2. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

The clean channel (no boost) is pretty clean, and Voxy (in class A). The boost makes it sound like you are using a FDII.

The dirty channel gets a lot of gain, but still retains clarity. The boost just adds more gain.

I find it to be a very versatile amp, with great tones on both sides. also very protable (55 pounds), and the verb ain't too bad.

3. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I just sold my Pittbull 45 to a forumite and I am having a bit of withdrawl. I lived in the gain channel mostly because I had very hot tubes in the amp and the clean channel would break up very soon. Nice for blues, but I mainly used the amp for hard rock/metal and anyone that says this amp can't do metal is out of their mind. I'm talking real metal, not that nu-metal crap.

I did alot of sessions with that amp for industrial and hip hop artists that wanted a metal sound and they were very pleased and somewhat shocked at the amount of gain and low end the amp produced. Forget about it if I added a 412.

I experimented with other tubes to help the clean channel and got good results, but I much prefered some of my other amps for clean, so this was my little rocker.

John Bell has the amp now and he plays a totally different style of music, but so far is very happy with amp.

I'm sure you will be too.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Well, I am firmly on the supposed "lower" end of the VHT line with the Pittbull 45 1-12 combo and 50/ST head here.

I paid about $800 for the 45 1x12 combo. I paid about $900 for the head. Both were mint condition, used and from da Ebay.

They are both pretty comparable to the Rivera Rake. Here are the differences.

The gain on the boost for the clean channel on the VHT's is much more useable on the VHT than the Rake on the fly. The reverb is footswitchable on/off on the footswitch and you can set it up to be only on for the cleans right on the footswitch too. The Loop is better on the VHT - parallel/series; -10/+4; and also on/off via the footswitch.

Tonally, the VHT offers more variations. The clean can be Hiwatt/Fender in Class AB; in Class A it is more Vox/Hiwatt. On the dirty side with the "Edge" and "Shift" switches, you have quite a range of dirty tones that all KILL. Combine the boost with those switches, the preamp gain knob and the Class A/AB switch and you have a wider array of tones - all EXCELLENT - available with very minimal tweaking. With the preamp gain cranked all the way, running Class AB, Edge and Shift pushed in and the Boost on - you have a absolutely killer modern rock tone that the Rake cannot do.

I really like both VHT amps I have (they are extremely similar in tones), find it a complete no-brainer to dial in and like it as much or more than the Rake and/or the Shiva.

FYI, the 50/ST adds a switch for tube or ss rectifier, has a pair of EL34's and slightly more preamp gain.

5. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Scott,

How is the boost on the gain channel on the fly? I liked the boost on the Riveras because it gave me more gain and volume. Is it like that?

6. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I too have a 45, in addition to a 50/CL head and a Super 30 combo. I agree with Scott's comments fully.

The boost function is footswitchable, so it is very easy "on the fly". THe boosted side adds a nice amount of gain, but not much of a volume boost - A volume boost is much more apparent on the clean to boosted clean side.

The 30 is very close to the 45 tonally, although the tube rectifier (and the output xformer, I'm sure) make the forty five a rounder, smoother amp than the 30... Don't take that as a slam against the 30 though...It is just difference; probably not unlike the Marshall 18 vs. 20 watters...

7. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I found that the boost really didn't increase volume as much as increase gain. I used a dedicated clean boost pedal for most applications.

8. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I thought the boost worked almost perfectly. Just enough increase in gain to make positive difference and just enough increase in volume to cut through better without going over the top.

I was really happy with both the clean and the dirty channels although mine could have used just a touch more headroom. Strangely, I found that the A/B mode worked better for me than class A. I was a little disappointed in the noise when the shift and edge buttons were engaged, but I usually played with them off anyway. All in all, a great amp.

9. rbone100

rbone100 Member

Hey Jimmydeez,

I live in NE Philly not too far from you and have some VHT's you could try out. If you want to stop by somtime drop me a line. Bring the Black Cat so I can try it out. :D

The VHT's I have:

VHT Pittbull 45 2x12 - You will like this!
    VHT UL head
    VHT CLX 2x12 combo
    VHT CLX head
    And a bunch of Mesa heads and cabinets.

Ralphie

10. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Hey DT,

What would be the more obvious clues to distinguish a newer one from the older other than date? 4 button F/S for one?

Thanks

DG

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Yep, four button for sure.

It is pretty easy to determine with the serial #.

12. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    What do we look for re: the serial numbers?

Thanks

Dennis

13. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Man when the heck did you get a Pitbull 45?!?! I'd love to hear that. Any chance you'd trade you CLX for another UL?;)

14. rbone100

rbone100 Member

I've had the Pittbull 45 for about three months. In fact, I think that I am going to use it at the venue we are playing at tonight. I normally take my CLX combo to this place but the PB45 has this awesome cover that fits like a glove--It's a Johnson amp cover. It's supposed to rain tonight and since the CLX is top loaded I don't want the tubes to get wet!

BTW - Thanks for the trade offer but I love my CLX head!

[​IMG]
    A match made in heaven--VHT CLX and UL heads. I will get a VHT cab soon!!!

15. John Bell

John Bell Member

I can't say enough good things about VHT.They have become my amp of choice.Everything Scott said pretty much covers what the amp will do.I've sat down and fooled with all the knobs and buttons and no matter how I set it,I can not get a bad sound out of the amp.For quite a while I used a PB 45 2x12 combo,but had trouble lugging it around at times.I was lucky enough to find a PB 45 1x12 combo locally.I bought it from (IplayHamers) I've used the amp on 10 gigs and so far it's working out great.I honestly can't believe how big and full the sound is from such a small amp.I can feel the bottom when playing on stage.