VHT Lead 40: any experience?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slast, Feb 4, 2012.

1. slast

slast Member

Hey TGP. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to sign up. I'm a poor college student and I've been playing guitar for a little over two years. My first amp, which I still own, is a Fender Super Champ XD. Great little amp for what it is, but I've been wanting to get a proper tube amp lately.

The guitar professor at my university is selling a VHT Lead 40 for $500, but I can't hardly find any reviews on it. The specs on paper seem nice, but I'm aware of who VHT is now owned by, so I'm a little skeptical about the quality. Does anyone have any extended experience with one and can comment on the build quality and reliability?

It might be a little more amp than I need right now since I don't gig, but better to have and not need than need and not have, eh? I tend to like clean to edge-of-breakup more than high gain stuff, and Fender and Vox tones as well. Any suggestions?