VHT owners: question about VHT CL50 power amp mode

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by knownuthin, Feb 21, 2008.

1. knownuthin

knownuthin Member

Hi, first post

I think the manual for this amp, the VHT rep, and the amp designer the rep said he double-checked with (which has got to be Mr. Fryette, right?), all have one thing backwards:

The manual says that in "Auto" power amp mode we use the tube recto (Normal mode) on Red and the solid state recto (Enhance mode) on Green. Pretty sure it's the other way around -- at least to my ears and fingers. Green is definitely squishier in Auto and seems to have that organic tube recto sag, not Red. Picking it up tomorrow regardless, but I'd like to know for sure and have a baseline of info before the amp starts teaching me things. It's hard for me to believe I am the only one who is correct. I've searched far and wide for this answer.

Any owners know for sure which channel uses the tube recto and which channel uses the SS recto in Auto mode?

Thanks
    Mike

ps. The VHT users forum is a ghost town. The Sig-X was supposed to ship, what, a year ago? This is a small company -- should I be worried, esp in the event the amp needs servicing?

2. knownuthin

knownuthin Member

3. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I know my 50ST, which has the same power amp and the 50CL, runs SS on the Red channel and Tube on the Green channel in Auto Mode. I cannot imagine they are different in this one area.

Also, the forum does receive little traffic but I've had no issues when contacting VHT Support directly. Info for that is here http://www.vhtamp.com

4. Kelly

Kelly Member

The vhtusers forum is privately owned, not owned by VHT. The company itself has been in business many years and has an excellent record with service. And, yes, they notoriously announce new products WAY before they start shipping them. I dont know the answer to your tech question, but you needn't be worried when it comes to service with the company.

5. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

FWIW, I have a 50ST. A couple of years ago I emailed Steve Fryette with some questions. One was this:

"I wanted to confirm the function of the power section “ enhance/normal/auto” switch on my VHT 50st head.

I got this from “G 50CL functions” PDF I found on-line:

13A. POWER AMP MODE: ENHANCE/NORMAL/AUTO – ENHANCE operates power amplifier from a Silicon Rectifier for crisp tone and increased power amp dynamics. NORMAL operates power amplifier from a Tube Rectifier for smoother tone
    and increased power amp compression and distortion. This is accompanied by a slight reduction in output power to about 40 watts. AUTO ties the MODE SWITCH to the front panel or foot-controlled channel switching function. In this mode NORMAL operates on the RED channel and ENHANCE operates on the GREEN channel.

I presume that is correct for the 50st as well?"

Steve Fryette's answer was "YES".

6. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

This is from the 50ST manual on VHT's user group website. ​

7. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Of course, it makes sense for the s.s. rectifier to be assigned to the drive channel in AUTO mode.

8. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Well, at least we have conflicting info from the same source. :)

It may well be that the 50CL is configured to run the tube rectifier on the red channel but I am pretty darn sure the drive channel on the 50st gets the SS rectifier in Auto Mode. I thought this just from playing it, before I saw the manual.

9. iggs

iggs Member

I used to have a 50CL and felt it sounded the opposite the exact same way you do ... in Auto mode Red would have the SS and Green would have the Tube recto ... weird.

10. lionscut

lionscut Member

besides the el 34's, the 50st and the 50cl are COMPLETELY different. i highly doubt you would ever get conflicting info from the company.

11. knownuthin

knownuthin Member

thanks all

after bringing it home for a workout through 3 different cabs and a few guitars I've decided not to get this amp, though it does sound nice. Not for me. I even tried combinations of 2 different cabs at once so I could run it at full power (4 ohms).

I like my Peavey amps better. Yes, you read that correctly

If the UL was more affordable, like it used to be, I might still be interested in a VHT.

12. Kelly

Kelly Member

On man's trash is another man's....

13. lionscut

lionscut Member

very well put!!:rotflmao

14. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

They share the same power amp, according to the stamp on the circuit board. I'd find it strange that the Auto functions in reverse on one vs the other but I suppose stranger things have happened.

15. knownuthin

knownuthin Member

Originally Posted by Kelly [​IMG]
    On man's trash is another man's....

but not very well spelled.

Fetish Frog: once I got the amp home and cranked it was hard for me tell one way or the other. I'd be willing to bet the VHT rep is correct. I mean, who better to ask?

all: it is a very very nice-sounding amp, just not for me. Seemed to have more balls in the store; was expecting more of that UL "chord bloom." Also, being able to hear the bottles clink with every bass note and button-push on the back was scarifying to me. And it was cold sounding. I was not able to dial in a lead tone that I liked, and that was the biggest reason I decided not to trade one of my much-loved amps for it.

well, this question was why I joined this forum. Y'all take care

peace, out