VHT pitbull 45- whats it sound like??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 10-top, May 23, 2006.

1. 10-top

10-top Supporting Member

I am thinking of getting one of these but dont have an opportunity to try one in person. How does it compare to an el 84 powered mesa or marshall gainwise and tonewise. Would it be good for rock-metal??? Thanks

2. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Very good metal amp. They have a scooped mid tone. Lots of gain on tap, and very versatile with the 2 channels, and effects loop. I found them to have too much high/mid-high frequencies. They cut through a mix like nobodys business.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

Splatt and I run them with Hotplates and hit the power section crazy hard. Probably one of the most satisfying and gargantuan high gain sounds I've ever had. The clean channel is beautiful too. To me, it's everything an AC 30 could be, with work, and then some.

4. hemlock

hemlock Guest

The other player in our band has had one for several years now. The clean side is excellent and gets a bit of hair at less than earsplitting volume. It stays pretty tight, too. The drive side is really versatile. Set it so it crunches when you dig in, turn up the guitar volume to get some good singing and hit the boost for the next level. One of the things I really like about it is that the clean and drive channels sound like they belong to the same amp, just continuations of the same basic tone. To my ears that basic tone is rich and a little chimey but remains very focused and tight. I think used Pitbulls are among the best bang for the buck out there.

5. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I hear what everyone is saying about the Pittbull being a great and versitle amp, however I don't consider it a high gain, tight amp. With it's tube rectifier and in combo format it sounds very classic rock to me. I use a pedal to get into super saturation area. I will say I haven't tried it with a Hotplate. (Maybe tonight's project :))

As a point of reference, I have owned and played some hi gain amps. I had a VHT Deliverence 60 and (2)GB ElDiablo's 100, both of which have seriously more gain on tap.

For me, with a few pedals this amp does cover all grounds. It is without a doubt the best combo amp I have owned (for my cover band needs).

6. matte

matte Senior Member

. My high gain amps are a Custom Uberschall and a MiCA TOL. The PB 45 is a much more intimate/organic affair.

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

For daily gigs & whatever I use mine in more-or-less clean mode most of the time, and I absolutely love it. I have used it for sessions with the power section cranked pretty hard and nobody ever believes it's a 1X12 combo when I tell them.

8. Lution

Lution Member

I played through a Pitbull head a couple weeks ago into a crappy 4x12 at a second hand music store.

I was very surprised that the clean channel was very nice. A touch of organics and richness going on there and the overdrive channel was very nice too. I would agree that its not quite high gain enough for metal, but pretty close. A pedal will get you there with no problem.

9. robbert

robbert Member

What speakers do you think match up best with this amp; greenbacks / gh12-30 / v30 / ...? - open back 212 / closed back 412?

Thanks in advance.

10. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

These two paragraphs pretty much say it all. I own lots of Marshalls but the VHT 45 1x12 combo is by far the most versatile sounding amp I have. Mines an older one as well with the EL84 tube and no Class A/B switch. Works fine for me. This is the amp I wish my older Marshalls would sound like. :)

11. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

The Pitbull 45 is a very diverse amp that covers a lot of ground. I have used it for it's great cleans and also for metal. I used it side by side with a Marshall JCM 800 and it overshadowed the Marshall by far.

12. robbert

robbert Member

Hi, thanks for the information.

I was wondering, I noticed in another thread that you are using your deliverance 120 with a 212 loaded with alnico blues (please correct me if I'm wrong) paired with a Hot Plate. What settings do you use to not blow the speakers? Can you get it down to "bedroom" levels?

Thanks in advance.

13. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

I have one, and it gives a tremendous clean EL-84 sound with a gain channel that is unique in that it can sound just like the clean channel but just slightly pushed for that little bit of hair, sustain and girth. Touch snesitive like a lot of EL84 -ers. Not limited to that, the gain channel will give all kinds of classic rock sounds, but I wouldn't put it anywhere close in a first choice in the metal catagory; if I were to be playing metal I would get something like a rectifier, ecstacy, uberschall, soldano, etc.

Wes

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Is the Pittbull 45 and the Pittbull 30 the same amp with a simpler footswitch???

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

They are similar - the S30 is along the lines of the PB45 in Class A mode, but I understand the x-formers are different. Also, the last revision of the S30 used a 12AT7 reverb driver (EF86 in first few) while the last PB45 revision used an EF86 (EL84 in early models). The footswitch is the same for both (at least in final revision).

16. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Any way to compare soundclips of all these amps being discussed? (PB 45, Deliverence 60...)

17. thintele

thintele Member

I don't consider the PB45 a high gain amp, but certainly one of the more versatile amps I've owned. You can cover most any genre except maybe metal. It has a very effective MV and a punchy organic clean channel. A great amp:AOK