VHT Pitbull 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hoss, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Hoss

Hoss Member

comments, reviews, pros, cons...etc

i've decided to keep my amp search as close to $800 bucks as possible...i want to suprise my wife with a keyboard.

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

might try a search; these are well liked and favoribly reviewed here quite frequently...

3. hemlock

hemlock Guest

There should be lots of hits if you do a search.

I loved mine. Good cleans that worked well for country and funk and the OD channel is excellent. Lots of gain available. Maybe not enough for the chugga-chugga stuff, but plenty for anything else. The boost on both channels is a big plus. It's easy to set it up for edge-of-breakup and clean it up with the guitar volume, then get a bit of hair by cranking the guitar, then get some good big overdriven cleans with the boost, then go to really singing gain with the OD channel. One of the most versatile amps I've used. I had a 112 and our other guitarist pays a 410. Both are great amps, but I think I like the 112 with a 112 extension cab a little better than the 410.

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

I used to have one, with 2 x 10s and 12" in a combo. Sounded great & never failed me, I only sold it because it was too big.

5. Hoss

Hoss Member

thanks fellas...

6. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

You'll like it. Extremely versatile amp that can cover a really wide range of tones and styles. The PB 45 OD channel is my favorite OD sound in any channel switching amp. It's got just about every tone shaping tool and input/output access you could ever need and all in a nice compact package. Loud enough for just about any gig I can imagine. Doesn't do Fenderery sparkle but just about everything else. A classic amp and a great value!

7. playon

playon Supporting Member

Just one thing I forgot to say... the only VHT Pit Bull 45 I would stay away from is the 1 x 12 in the really small cab... they sound kind of boxy. They made a wider cab version that could fit either 1 x 12 or 2 x 10s and it sounds much better.

8. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I like mine through a 4x12 with G12m "greenbacks"...2x12 with G12m alnico "blues" is great, too (with an attenuator). I run mine flat out. Actually, its in CA for some sprucing up by SF et al; miss it.

9. matte

matte Senior Member

My fave EL 84 amp in the history of life. Steve is a genius.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

My main working amp, day in, day out. Incredibly versatile, so many beautiful tones in a very easy-to-manage package.

I have the 1X12 combo...I love this little f*cker....

11. Hoss

Hoss Member

do you know if these were made in specific years?

12. garfight

garfight Member

+1 on it being my favorite el84 amp ever.
    great sounding, versatile, touch sensitive amp.both channels are awesome.

13. Bluewail

Ain't no problem with the small cab 1X12. It's been the most popular version, probably because of the compact size. I'm sure the other configurations are cool too but your not giving up much except weight with the "giant killer" 1x12. I would be curios to know if other users have tried different speakers in theit 1X12 PB45's and the results. It looks like a pretty tight fit next to those tranny's. Perhaps something with a bit more "polite" mid response than the stock speaker? BTW, Anyone know what kind of speaker Steve puts in the 1X12?

14. Hoss

Hoss Member

yeah...that's a good question?

and also what brand tubes seem to work the best in it?

15. Bluewail

I like the JJ's OK but Lord Valve turned me onto some NOS Russian EL84 equivilents (sorry can't remember the # right now) and they have a lot more of that chimey thing going on. Nice tubes for around $40 a quad if I recall. For preamp tubes I'm using a Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 in V1, a RI Tungsol 12AX7 in V2 and JJ ECC803s in V3. The reverb tubes are a RCA 12ax7 greyplate and a Svetlana EF86. JJ Rectifier as well.

16. graydane

graydane Member

I have one and I love it.

17. Hoss

Hoss Member

you guys should work for VHT...you've pretty much sold me on it!!! now i gotta cross my fingers that i can find used newer model in a couple weeks when the funds become available...:dude :dude :dude

it sounds EXACTLY like what i'm looking for and i can't wait to get the $'s and buy one!!!

18. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Another PB 45 1x12 owner chimming in! Have been gigging it a couple of months in my cover band and love it. Great Clean and Gain channels. Running it into my Avatar 2x12 really opens it up.

I'd be curious to hear about different speaker options also. Have been thinking about a 2x10 cabinet with greenbacks.

Also, the 1x12 is a heavy little amp. I never carry it by the handle.

19. Hoss

Hoss Member

sounds good man...i'd probably look into getting a 2x12 or 2x10 cab to run it through also for bigger venues, but i'll mainly play it at church.

i gotta get one of these!!! lol!!!

20. mesabooger

mesabooger Member

I traded off my ;ast Boogie (a MK I) here for a PB45 2x10. After 10 years of playing only Boogies, I was sold on VHT. I am partial to EL84 amps and this is so far my fav. Extremly versatile, not hype. A bit picky on what ODs you put in front of the clean channel, but with a gorgeous and boostable dorty channel who needs one anyway.

It can get some high gain tones, but the low and mild gain is where it's at.

Oh, and a big diff between Class A/B and Class A. So many features....