VHT Special 12/20 who has one? Opinions??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by highfidelity66, Feb 10, 2015.

1. highfidelity66

highfidelity66 Supporting Member

I have been researching an amp for home playing. I want a good clean platform that takes pedals well. I am considering a Fender hot rod deluxe III and now I just learned abot this VHT amp. Can anyone share comments and experiences? Specifically how does it handle pedals? Thanks!!

2. SGspecial

SGspecial Member

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

This amp and the VHT Special Six (not Ultra) are the best inexpensive path into good, classic Fender tones on the market........IMHO. I own a Special Six and is so pleasing to use. My lust for a vintage Champ-like amp was satisfied at a ridiculously low price. All it took was replacing the stock tubes.

4. highfidelity66

highfidelity66 Supporting Member

Thanks for the thread link and good info so far!!!

5. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I have both the Special Six and the 12/20. They are great amps. I actually run my 12/20 with a WGS Black and Blue and does this great clean chimey thing that is huge and swirly. I dig it.

6. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

It also handles pedals well, the only thing that is hard to get is edge of breakup at a lower volume without sizzle.

7. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Do read through/wade through the link above - the Special 12/20 Is Great Thread - tons of info there. I have the non-reverb combo, had it a little over 2 years now - never any issues with it - some of the early reverb/trem models had some noise issues as the link will reveal - they seem to be fixed now. I use my 12/20 with the 6V6's at 12 watts, mic it and play in an 8 piece R&B horn band. Great headroom and pedal platform, perfect for that application. The power attenuator is handy, the 9v power supply is what I use to perch a reverb pedal on top to the amp as the last box into the amp. I find it, with the 6V6's to be very close to a Princeton voiced amp, but with just a tiny bit more mids, still very much in that Princeton family though. A tremendous value in a handwired amp that any good tech can work on and it sounds great too - the stock speaker not something you have to change out either if you are good with that basic solid Fender style, voiced amp.