• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

VHT Special 6 speaker recommendations

Hoss

I'm loving this little combo. I actually played it Sunday morning without any pedals and it did just fine. I definitely see the potential in it, and I know it was designed with modding in mind.

At the present time, it's a little too dark for my tastes. Sooo...i'm thinking a speaker swap is in order first (actually the tubes have been changed to Tung Sol 6v6GT & 12AX7). The stock speaker is too dark...i'm wanting something with some top end chime/sparkle that still retains the low end, and a bit more mids would be welcomed as well.

I know the Alnico Gold 10 would be perfect...all except for the $$$. I've been mostly considering the Eminence Legend 10516?

Is there anything out there ceramic that is comparable to it?
I play P&W stuff in the vein of Hillsong, Jesus Culture, & Chris Tomlin. I also dabble in some Classic Rock. I can get my dirt from pedals...so an early breakup isn't necessary or wanted.

10 inch 16 ohm.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited:

Frank Speak

There is a bright cap/switch mod that I would do before messing with the speaker. It costs next to nothing and will likely solve your issue. Do a search and I'm sure you can find it.

Frank Speak

p.s. If you can't find it, call the fellas at "Blues Angel Music" in Pensacola, FL. Pretty much all of them own the combo and all have done the mod.

Chicago Slim

I love my S6 combo with the Legend 105-16. It sounds much bigger (less boxey). It does however, make the Normal mode sound more like the Boost. The difference becomes more one of clean headroom. And with the High and Low input, I now have four choices of headroom (eight with the 1/2 power). The Legend 105 also gives you more room, for larger power tubes. I run mine with a Tung Sol 5881. That gives you about 10 watts, with the cathode bias. It retains the 6V6 sound, with more clean headroom. You can still run it a half power, when you want less clean headroom. Pretty useful for such a small inexpencive amp.

champster

The Special 6 too dark? I think stock this amp is way too bright. I installed an Eminence Lil' Buddy in mine which sounds great in this amp. If you want a brighter sound you could try a Jensen C10R. I also play the same type of P&W music as you do.

Hoss

The Special 6 too dark? I think stock this amp is way too bright. I installed an Eminence Lil' Buddy in mine which sounds great in this amp. If you want a brighter sound you could try a Jensen C10R. I also play the same type of P&W music as you do.
do you play primarily with single coils or humbuckers...?

TeamJA

Silver Supporting Member
I'm with champster, I thought it was plenty bright. Maybe try putting it on a chair.

Hoss

I'm with champster, I thought it was plenty bright. Maybe try putting it on a chair.
I had it sitting on a stool Sunday and it was better...but i had the tone knob set to the right almost full tilt.

dave_mc

i was advised against teh 105 (by eminence) and i also thought the stock amp was too dark

they advised i go with the copperhead (i poked a hole in the grille with wire cutters to get to the 8 ohm extension jack at the back), and it's pretty nice. massive improvement over the stock speaker.

however, i wouldn't say it's completely cured the lack of brightness, either- as people are saying, i'm guessing the circuit would need to be modded to really achieve that.

Hoss

changing the stock power tube is a must, takes off a lot of high end harshness
it has a Tung Sol 6v6GT & 12AX7...

i think i'm gonna go with the WGS G10C...didn't realize they were so local...Paducah KY!

Frank Speak

I'm with you! I don't have the combo. I have the head and closed back 1x12, and I still don't think it's dark. I think it's plenty bright.

Hoss

I'm with you! I don't have the combo. I have the head and closed back 1x12, and I still don't think it's dark. I think it's plenty bright.
the stock speaker in the 1x10 cab...sounds dark & boxy...not a lot of chime/sparkle at all.

the G10C should open it up musically...and widen the spectrum of sound!?

Frank Speak

Again, check out that mod I mentioned earlier. Seems to me that would be less cost than replacing the speaker. I think all of the guys at Blues Angel Music did it to their combos.