VHT Special 6 Ultra. Pedal Friendly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingdavidy2k, Jan 15, 2015.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I'm thinking of getting the Special 6 Ultra or 12/20
    I know from ye product description that the 12/20 was meant to be pedal friendly. Would that be the same case for the 6?
    I need an apartment studio recording amp. need a pedal platform recording amp that sound, feel and records good in conversation level.

2. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

Don't know about the Ultra, but I have a Special Six head that does wonderfully with my pedals. I have always loved my Mad Prof. Little Green Wonder, but it has never sounded as good as it does thru the Special Six. I love this little amp!

klapaucjusz1 and scott58 like this.
  4. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

I think that the VHT S6U works great with pedals and also at low volumes. I have about six amps here that are 20w or less, and the S6U gets nearly all of my practice time. Mine is a head, and I'm running it through a 1x12 open-back cab.

5. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I have a special six combo not an ultra. I use it for practice because I can't crank where I live. It loves pedals and I'm not a pedal guy. It's a great amp. I just picked up a mad professor 1 which is an evh in a box. Holy crap. It's amazing. Great platform for tone at practice levels. Well worth the 180 I pad new. But you must swap out those crappytubes.

klapaucjusz1 likes this.
  6. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

I'm still getting used to my Special 6 Ultra Combo. I've been running the ultra channel, but have noticed that with the power knob down it can get real raspy... but turning the power knob up cleans it up and comes closer to that fender clean sound... even through the ultra channel. So many knobs, really there is a lot of play and it's going to take me some time to dial it in how I like.

7. terrapin

terrapin Member

This is a big reason why I went with the Special Six instead of the Ultra. I realized I could get it to do everything I needed it to do and not spend as much time tweaking settings. I keep mine on full power with no boost and the Volume close to dimed and use pedals and the guitar to do the rest. I really love that little amp.

8. playthecray

playthecray Member

I have the original Special 6 head. It takes pedals great. Love that little amp.

9. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

The Watts knob reduces power and headroom (kinda the same thing). The net effect is to get power tube distortion at virtually any volume. Maybe we should call it the 'Raspy' knob, and it's a cool feature of this amp. For cleans, the Watts knob should be fully CW, as this amp has little headroom with only 6w.

The Ultra 'channel' adds a preamp gain stage. The Ultra control can add preamp gain/drive/crunch. When set around 9:00, it adds a little clarity and brightness over the standard channel, but no extra dirt.

10. Midlover

Midlover Member

Interesting to hear people say that the standard Special 6 takes pedals well. I also have one, and when I use it with pedals (e.g. a Tube Screamer or a CKK Electronic Dumble-style pedal) it just gets really harsh and transistory. I have replaced the stock tubes, and I've also tried it with both the stock speaker and a Jensen P10R. I'll give it a shot with an external 1x12 cab too to see if I can get a better sound that way, because since I like the Special 6 sound so much, I'd love it if I could make it sound good with overdrives too.

11. scott58

scott58 Member

Not an ultra either, but my Special 6 is great with pedals and amp models.

Edit Switched from a 10" Blue Marvel to a Ragin Cajun 10" . Kind of like it better. Gotta blue pup and WGS G10C I haven't tried yet.

12. white cloud

white cloud Member

I have owned the Ultra head version since it first came out. I find it does take dirt pedals well and the variable watts knob feature comes in real handy as going CCW it fattens tone while reducing volume. I use the Clean side for the most part. Since I have a few MIAB pedals and some with light OD I borrowed a friends Mesa Flux Drive and it sounds great and is a good fit. The FX loop is another matter as it runs way too hot. There are some mods for the Special 6 Ultra and one being the FX so will have that done at some point