VHT Valvulator or something similar? Any users.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justicetones, Dec 23, 2005.

1. justicetones

justicetones Member

I saw that one member was using a VHT Valvulator to drive their pedalboard chain.

I have read and fully understand what VHT has to say about it. I want to know from users of this or something similar.

How does this affect the amp input sound or does it at all changing from High Impedance to Low Impedance.

Anyone else doing this with the same box or something similar? Just curious?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have one after my stereo splitter before my wah and envelop follower and those never sounded better. I avoid any other buffers in line to the amp using true bypass effects. Occasionally I have to hook up the guitar directly to the amp and now I can't really tell any difference.

3. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Axcess BS2 Buffer/Splitter... Great device!

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

SHO as buffer-less noisy than the VHt.

5. justicetones

justicetones Member

HMMM. Interesting. I thought it might be because of the extremely high input impedance and the unloading of the pickups. Good thought. Thanks.

Anyone else with buffers? What are you using?

I like the axess buffer too as an option. Anyone know how long the wait is?

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've been using the BS2 for over a year and it's excellent. Shouldn't be too long of a wait to get one. In fact I just bought a Valvulator from a Forum member, to replace my BS2, only because I really need the 4 outlets to power the rest of the pedals on my board, including a 12v one. I suspect/hope the Valvulator will be as good as the BS2, and maybe even better because of the tube mojo. The extra pedal power outlets were a big selling point for me. If I keep the V1, I'll be selling my BS2.

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

I have the VHT Valvulator I on my pedalboard:
    [​IMG]

+1 for the VHT Valvulator I buffer/power supply. I took all of my old Boss pedals, my Area 51 wah pedal and MXR pedals and have the VHT Valvulator hooked up as a buffer before all the effect pedals. When I first put this pedalboard together, it had hum and loss of frequencies due to the audio signal traveling through the pedals and the long cables that I use onstage. Now that I installed the Valvulator I, all of that is gone and it's quiet. I usually run 2 20' guitar cables to and from the pedalboard. It made my pedalboard sound good and usable onstage. I also use Valvulator I to power my MXR 117R flanger and I was happy to get rid of my Dunlop AC adaptor off of my pedalboard. It works for me and I'm happy with my investment for my pedalboard.

Guitar George

8. justicetones

justicetones Member

Thanks guys for all of the responses. I think I need to start trying out some of these things. Knowing my G.A.S. and my curiousity I will probably try them all at some point.

Merry Christmas to all

Chris

9. [​IMG]

i use a double looper in my rig...and on one of my loops, when activated, drops my tone really low. do you guys think the valvulator would work with my setup? if so, where should i put it? in the loop that drops my tone or before my double looper?

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Considering the long chain of fx you have, I would say the Valvulator 1 would definitely help out. Normally, it goes at the beginning of the fx chain, or directly after any fussy fx you have that don't like to be fed by buffers (eg: wah pedal).

I also replaced the Sovtek tube with a Telefunken and it was night and day better. Since then, I put in a NOS Tesla E83CC (Telefunken ECC803S copy) and that was even better!

11. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey macaroni,

That's a good tip about switching the 12AX7 tube on the Valvulator I buffer/power supply. I'm going to try that on mine.

Guitar George

12. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I've been using the Valvulators since they came out, and couldn't be happier. They are dead quiet and do what they are supposed to. I've done the A/B between the VHT and Axess and the VHT wins hands down... But how would you expect a 9v batter unit to keep up with the big boys.... Though Mario makes great stuff, the VHT just flat out performs the BS2.
    If you have a noisy VHT, then either the tube is bad or it's been broken.
    As for your pedal board, I'd put the VHT first where it belongs.
    I've never had any problems with any pedals.
    Steve

13. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I've been using the Valvulator for about 2 years. I've been very pleased. I don't have a problem with noise. I'd be curious as to what kind of noise the earlier poster is experiencing.

Also, the Valvulator isn't the end all for chain problems. In my experience it's been an important part of cleaning up my signal. But using good patch cables and properly functioning pedals is just as important. Not to mention the amp.

There was a thread a few months ago about the Valvulator - or maybe power supplies in general - where someone mentioned converting the signal to low impedance changes the way your signal hits the OD/Dist pedals. The theory was it would change the way your guitar and OD/Dist pedals interact. It makes sense since the signal is not the same as what the pedal was designed to process. But I haven't had an issue with it. Maybe I've made other adjustments to compensate.

jeffhef

14. gearboy

gearboy Member

I have 2 pedalboards an have a V1 on each. Makes a big difference to me, and having the extra power outlets is a big plus.

15. amper

amper Member

I bought a Valvulator awhile back. I thought it was a pretty cool unit, but after some time went by, I realized I didn't actually need it. The only pedals I use in front of an amp are those which want to see a high impedance. Everything else goes through the effects loop. With my bass rig, I don't use *anything* in front of the amp. With either guitar or amp, my cable runs are never longer than 25 feet before hitting the amp, so why bother with the V-1? For my applications, it has no effect at all.

I think I'll probably just use a Lehle splitter to feed my tuner, instead.

16. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

I have a valvulator that I've been using with my effects for a while now into my Diezel VH4. I actually have it after a switchbox loop pedal on my at the moment so I can hear the difference very easily by bypassing it completely in and out of my signal chain.

It really makes channels 1 and 2 of the VH4 come alive and adds a nice warmth to them as well as some sparkle. I prefer this to running it bypassed. I don't hear as much of a difference tonewise on the 3rd and 4th channel, but i do hear a very big difference in the amount of hum when I'm not playing on those channels. I'm not sure if its the pedals I have, the cable, or the power supply but something is definitely adding the hum. I'd like to figure out what the heck it is and take care of it and just run straight into the buffer all the time.

Anyone have any thoughts?

17. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

I used a Valvulator for 2 years with great results. Then I took it off of my pedal board for about a year when I went to an active pickup config. When I switched back to my Tele, I put the Valvulator back on my board and it started humming fairly loudly. I replaced the tube, checked the tranny, etc., and still a loud hum. I tossed it and got a BS-2 and never looked back.

18. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I don't think the Valvulator itself is noisy, but it can cause other effects to be noisy. I had a lot of problems with my wah in particular. Higher end units usually have a torroidal transformer which greatly reduces the magnetic field generated.

19. shakti

shakti Member

I did the exact same thing (Tesla E83CC) and my jaw just dropped to the floor! Although I did go directly from a Sovtek...but do *not* believe what the manual tells you, that the tube itself doesn't matter. It makes a *huge* difference, it colours your whole signal. Such a lot of fun, you can even tailor your sound with the tube! That's not to say that it will colour your sound too much, if you know what I mean...the Valvulator should be used to offset the effects of a long pedal chain, and if you plug straight into the amp it doesn't "add" enough on its own to be justified. But once you have a long chain bugging down your tone, you can use the tube in the Valvulator to find the one that sounds right for your particular setup. When I switched to the Tesla from the Sovtek, it seemed at first that I was almost *losing* treble response, until my ears got used to it and I realized the Sovtek had been adding a slightly harsh top end fizzle all along. The Tesla, OTOH, just sounds very balanced, full and almost neutral, adding just enough "3D" tube-like response, while the circuitry of the Valvulator means that it will drive the pedal chain without signal loss. Perfect!

20. shakti

shakti Member

BTW, mine is in a bypass loop so I can switch it out when I want to use a germanium treble booster or the silicon fuzzface in my CC2. The Valvulator remains *on* at all other times, though...sounds much better with it, particularly clean sounds. Until I ditched the Sovtek, I did sometimes leave it off when going into a metal panel Marshall, but with the Tesla in there that problem was solved...it was the Sovtek's harsh treble messing things up! :jo