Vibe for P&W music??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jtindle, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtindle

jtindle Member

Hey P&W players,

How many of you use a vibe pedal and how much do you use it? I'm thinking of getting one but not sure how much I would use it.

If you don't mind, mention what songs you use it on.

Thanks

Jeff

2. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

I had a Mojovibe for a while and I finally sold it after I realized I hadn't stepped on it in about a month during services. I think it was just the sound of it though and not the effect. It was a little bright for my taste and not quite throbby enough (at least the one I had was).

I am very interested in the FoxRox Aquavibe though.

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I've been using a CE-5 set for a vibe feel and just replaced it with a Holy Stain.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I'm still trying to be me completley in my music at church. My wife and I just took over as Worship leaders in a local church with a pretty good size youth. I'm hoping this is my chance to play like myself. Worship music defintaly has it's own sound. I'm a huge Landau fan. So my Chorus is set up like a Leslie effect and I use my Megavibe like a madman, plus I use my Roctavias a lot.
    Oh yea! lol

5. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I use trem more than vibe, so I don't really know what to suggest, but one of the main songs that comes to mind is Kendall Combes lead part on "Song of the Redeemed" by Charlie Hall.

6. Archie Stanton

Archie Stanton Member

Check the buffer position?

Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith both use the same guitar player and he uses the Mojo Vibe.

7. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I think that the Mojo, Uber, and Deja are the best ones. The Roger Mayer is interesting too. YMMV.

Vibe Quest

8. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I use the Fulltone Deja Vibe 2. It seems to be more filling.

9. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I use a Mojo Vibe on occasion to break up the monotony of the same tone on every song. Once I had it on and was up a little in the mix and leader kept looking around and finally ask "am I in the right key?". The warble threw her off.

10. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

I'm the Worship Pastor (among other things) at our church and have a Mini Deja on my board. I use it every week! :)

I use it a lot on a slower phasey setting for cleaner sections, and for texture on volume swell parts. I'll kick it up to more intense settings for build up sections in more rockin tunes. It adds a nice movement and texture that's not as over the top as a chorus would be.

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Usually my first thought is for a bit more subtle sound I'd use a chorus. For something more pronounced a vibe effect. I use a GT-8 I don't have individual Chorus or Vibe so I um can't recommend any specific pedal.

12. mprvise

mprvise Member

I have been praised, though not worshiped (that I know of) for my use of the Mini Deja and Mojo vibes. Seriously - I think either would be a great choice for any type of music. IMO the Mojo has a slight edge.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Glen Pearce? That dude owns!

And I use the Voodoo Lab Microvibe. I actually like it better then all of the Fulltone mini Deja vibe clips I've heard.

14. codyj84

codyj84 Member

To answer the ORIGINAL post....

I play lead for a fairly large church, in the "modern" worship service. Yes there is a very distinct difference between traditional, contemporary, and modern, as p/w players will know.

I use a Mojo Vibe quite often. You wanted some examples....

Verse of "You Are My Joy" David Crowder Band- High Oscillation for that watery super spin effect.

Quite a few Hillsong United songs, primarily a slow oscillation in breaks or at the end of songs. usually coupled with a DD-5 on dotted eighths and either a Keeley AD-9 or a DL-4 on tape echo. Very ambient and flowing.. Think the end of "Hosanna" or "For Those Who Are to Come"

When we have worship nights, we often play instrumental in the style of Sigur Ros/Sufjan Stevens/Coldplay/Kunek etc.... so the vibe gets ALOT of use. Those are my favorite, because there are no words and the music is the worship and we just get lost in it...

Hope that helps....

A word of caution..... Just like anything, it CAN be overdone. The next thing that comes to mind is the wah... I mostly use a wah for swells and such... Not the bount-chicka-wow-wow sounds. haha Alot of "younger" players get a wah or a vibe and kill the atmosphere completely and everyones left looking at them thinking what the___ was that? MOderation is the key, unless the song itself calls for obnoxious vibin' or wahin' ("Undignified" -the chorus- is a very wah-happy song)

15. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

spectator point:

I once stood in for a great friend at church, using only backline. A 50 piece choir screaming at the top of their lungs certainly made a lot of my effects sound weak, I had to increase chorus depths, flanger sweeps, and even OD and delay levels.

I've only ever done that once though.

Univibes in my experience really need a lot of wet mix to come through when competing with a load of human voices.

16. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Cleaned & reopened.

Guys... #1 resist the urge to retaliate or try to convince somebody they're wrong/mistaken. That will never, ever change their minds. Just report the offending posts & let the mods deal with them.

#2 I cannot emphasize this enough: IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS THREAD, DON'T POST IN IT.

--chiba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.