• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Vibe or Phaser on this Morricone song?

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
that is one understated phase.
Almost sounds like a Biphase with the two phasers out of phase, so there is always one LFO "rising".
Pretty sure I can get that on my old Mutron.

EDIT:
Tho it is not possible, I would love to hear that guitar OUT of the mix. It is kinda back there... or perhaps it and other tracks are sharing the phaser. Something is making it hard for me to hear it clear enough this morning.
Maybe it's time to scrub out the ear canals...
Intro... over and over...maybe what I'm hearing is some 'celeste-ing' between the guitar and another instrument further back in the mix.. I can't even identify it, so I'm going to assume it's a keyboard set to almost a flute-like timbre... anyway, their may be some very subtle 'few-cents-off' thing going on, which creates a slower-than-the-phaser pulsing. If the guitar effect is a vibe, then it's set to a relatively fast LFO, with low amplitude, and a dead-clean guitar (obviously).
Disto d'Amore just doesn't exist in Ennio's world.

Last edited:

Blue Bee

Almost sounds like a Biphase with the two phasers out of phase, so there is always one LFO "rising".

EDIT:
Tho it is not possible, I would love to hear that guitar OUT of the mix. It is kinda back there... or perhaps it and other tracks are sharing the phaser. Something is making it hard for me to hear it clear enough this morning.
Intro... over and over...maybe what I'm hearing is some 'celeste-ing' between the guitar and another instrument further back in the mix.. I can't even identify it, so I'm going to assume it's a keyboard set to almost a flute-like timbre... anyway, their may be some very subtle 'few-cents-off' thing going on, which creates a slower-than-the-phaser pulsing. If the guitar effect is a vibe, then it's set to a relatively fast LFO, with low amplitude, and a dead-clean guitar (obviously).
Listen closely to the very end of the track... Last few seconds you can hear the effect more prominent as it trails out

Last edited:

Blue Bee

sounds like it could be. i've done the same with vibe and trem. and i've done phase and trem. and vibe and phase. why not :munch
Def not hearing standard trem. Possibly a Magnatone style amp vibrato or Harmonic trem, but still most like Univibe to me with intensity not cranked

Thalomalo

I don‘t know what kind of effect it is, but what an amazing piece of music.
The Maestro was from another galaxy-incredible, moving, deep music

Blue Bee

EDIT:
It’s up from at times where you can hear it’s guitar, beginning and end of sections. Listeng closer I also notice the speed ramping a few different times. Could be another instrument like keys doubling the part . Try a listen on another set of speakers to see if it sticks out better

Blue Bee

'Vibe, with some post console/DAW trem or chorus.
Not hearing standard trem or chorus. Could be an effect added at post but not a Daw because the tune is prob 50 years old. Some type of vibe or phaser is what I’m going with

I wonder of any Italian amps that may have Harmonic trem or Magnatone style vibrato

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
It's wonderful. I would not hope to win any arguments with the expert listeners around here, but for me, within the span of a single second, I was certain that that is a perfect example of a really great Univibe. It has that beautiful loping, lop-sided shifting quality. I do have a pretty good one, a Novavibe from thirtythirdfx, a decent recreation I think, and it easily sounds very much like that. I don't believe there is a tremolo effect, in my (admittedly limited) experience, a Univibe circuit can create qualities of sound, a certain feeling that is similar to a tremolo, but, again, more interesting because of the lop-sidedness.

The key difference between a true Univibe and a phaser or a trem or a chorus or whatever other modulation effect is that the Univibe will never, ever sound clock-like. In my little world, clocks simply do not make music.

I could never get a single phaser to feel like that, though combining two at slightly different speeds did get more interesting, but it's messier and just less clear than the beautiful irregularities of a Univibe. As, I am sure, what we hear in that great track - thanks for that!

Trending Topics