Vibe Quandary, Please Explain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wooley, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Wooley

Wooley Member

I have a "problem" (?) with my Deja-Vibe. Initially, I was totally in love with this box, but for a while I wasn't using ANY overdrive. Now I find that when I run ANY driver into it, the "chorus" turns into this wierd robotic exhale, that is not totally unpleasant, and would probably be a great special effect tone, but is not really what I'm looking for day-to-day. I usually run my modulation after compression but before all the ODs, but since Jimi ran his fuzz BEFORE his vibe, and I want to be able to get the Machine Gun sound also, it seems to me that you have to be able to run fuzz/OD before your vibe. But I am getting this wierd electronic fuzz out of that combination. Anybody know what the hell I'm talking about and does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? :confused:
    Thanks,
    "Big" Wooley Mammoth

2. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

A Univibe is basically a glorified phase-shifter. When you run a dirt box in front of the pedal, it changes the basic EQ of your guitar, and then the vibe takes that change one step further by accentuating those changes to the next level - which can sound like sh*t. By running the dirt boxes after the vibe you eliminate this problem.

That being said, it depends alot on the type of guitar and dirt box. A more "transparent" (I hate that word!) dirt box will probably work better before a vibe than one that imposes more of its "sound" on your original signal.

Don't forget that Jimmy had techs hanging around that could tweak his gear to sound better - also, his Vibe was not true-bypass, so if he ran it between his guitar and fuzz pedal he wouldn't be able to use his guitar volume knob like he was used to because of impedence mismatches (its techinical, and I am not the guy to try to explain it - check out the FoxRox web site for his wah mod that details the problem with running non-true-bypass effects between a guitar and a fuzz).

Hope this helps - Rock on!

3. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Something people over look is that Jimi played LOUD. Amps on the verge of breakup or breaking up most of the time. That will "round" off the fizzieness you get from putting a dirstbox in front of a vibe. It's the nature of the beast, and ANY phaser that's working properly. If it doesn't do that it's either not set deep enough or just doesn't sound like a vibe. You can get around this to small degree by setting it to very shallow sweep, that way you don't "vibe" the higher frequencies, but then it just doesn't sound right. Try setting your amp to a setting that is breaking up or turn it till it's breaking up, you should hear a world of difference.
    There is a clip on my website I did will my Ultra Vibe with a fuzz in front of the Vibe and it is not very fizzy, but I had the amp REALLY loud and pumpin'.
    It's the "Machine Gun" clip, check it out, you'll see what I mean.

4. amoebas

amoebas Guest

umm mr. sweet

could i suggest that in the future, in addition to band clips, you could also include a clip or two with just the guitar and the effect in your demo clips?

just a thought... :D

5. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Hmm...You sure you're listening to the right page?

Here is the link http://www.sweetsound.com/Audio/MP3's.htm

I have some samples that Josh Smith did for me that are just guitar and also the MoFaux clips that did are just guitar. I have some new ones that Bill Hullett done for me but I haven't had time to put them up yet. They are all just guitar (more of a country, bluesy flavor).
    Philip Sayce is doing some for me also but I'm not sure yet if they will be in a band context or just guitar.

My whole point in pointing to that sample in the first place was to show the fact that a vibe CAN go after an OD/Dist/Fuzz as long as you understand how to tame the high fizzies they generate. And when people point out that Hendrix used his in that manner they usually neglect to consider the volume he palyed at and how much of his sound was the amps distorting.

6. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I have seen photos of various setups that Jimi used. Fuzz before and after his Univibe.

I like fuzz before and OD after mine.

7. drolling

drolling Member

+1!

Conventional fuzz circuits get along best w/the guitar's output, and should be first in the chain.

As Bob points out, classic vibe tones were generally recorded thru amps on '11'. An overdrive pedal after the vibe's one of the simplest ways to get this sound.

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've been experimenting with the Austone VibroStomp and either Klon or Gainster for boost. Those are the only effects I use, so it's simple. Boost first, then vibe == OK, not great. Vibe first == totally effective. No problem with higher volumes, no fizzing out. (Vibe only, I haven't reven tried the trem side. ) Really loud, you sure can hear those vibe pulses even when you're not playing. Way swampy. I like it!

9. RickB

RickB Member

I have always run my vibe (currently a Mojo Vibe, previously a Mini Deja' Vibe) before any dirt pedals. I never liked the way it sounded after the dirt pedals. But this thread has me wanting to try switching things around a bit to experiment again. I always found that the vibe before dirt kept the tone intact and running the vibe after the dirt made the sound bright and high end-y......