Vibe to replace my Dejavibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Jan 8, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I've had my larger, white Dejavibe for years and always really liked the thick, chewy, liquidy tones I get from the chorus setting. I've never, actually, really liked the vibe setting all that much. I find it thin and warbly.

I am wondering if my aversion is to the Dejavibe's vibe specifically or vibes in general (should I stick with phaser and chorus)? Are other vibes thin and warbly - is this just a vibe thing? Do others with the Dejavibe find it to sound similar? Are there any vibes that cop a thicker, watery, liquidy spacey vibe?

If it turns out i'm more of a chorus guy, are there other chorus pedals that sound better (in a smaller package would be ideal)? At this point, I',m contemplating ditching the Deja and using the vibrato channel on my Vibrolux Reverb and picking up a chorus pedal (Retrosonic, Analogman, etc). to pull the swirly, chewey duty.

Brian

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I like the swampy sound of the Deja. Good for slide with a little fuzz thrown in. Vibe to replace it? I would have to say the KR Megavibe. Maybe vibe isnt your thing, the Analogman Clone Chorus is a great chorus slash faux leslie.

I hope they dont throw the '' beating the dead horse '' emoticon at you. In the time it takes to post that they could have just given you a friendly suggestion. Just a thought.:)

3. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I was hoping to avoid that - I've done the "vibe" search. I guess my question isn't so much "which vibe is best" as much as it is, "do all vibes kinda sound like the Deja, or are there thicker, watery, liquidy vibes out there for me to consider?"

Brian

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I had a Roger Mayer Voodoo vibe for years and got a MJM 60's vibe last year to replace it after hearing one live. You never know about Vibes until you get it where your gonna use it then they win or lose. so all in all...

:horse

5. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

You don't need to replace your Deja. The real cream of the uni-vibes lie on the chorus setting. As far as finding a vibrato, find a different design then a uni-vibe clone. What your describing in regards to the vibrato is inherint to the design. And as said previously in this thread, vibrato is pitch modulation and thats what the uni does on a vibrato setting for that "warbly" sound.

Fuller makes a great vibe. I've owned a white older one when that was the current model and a mini. Awesome pedals.

Edit: You will NOT get the same swampy sounds from a chorus pedal into your tremolux. Nothing cops a really good vibe tone like a Uni-Vibe for that Machine Gun/Hey Baby/Bridge of Sighs tone.

6. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Right on cue.:rolleyes::D

7. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

If you want a more swirly kind of chorus effect with pitch bend as well as vibrato, check out the BBE Mind Bender, which is a chorus/vibrato pedal designed by Will Ray of the Hellecasters. Will describes the Mind Bender as "like a monster chorus unit on acid."

8. Archie Stanton

Archie Stanton Member

Ha ha, no more than you :D

Maybe we should beat you with a dead horse :D

9. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Harmony Central!

Please keep the bashing and threats to a minimum, all handguns must be concealed, and please no flash photography.

10. Archie Stanton

Archie Stanton Member

Ha ha...threats?? You should lighten up a bit nobody's threating you.
    But you really shouldn't be accusing people of exactly what YOU DO. I'm sure people put that up just because you posted that. Just lighten up, everybody knows you're an "assocciate". :)

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

What do I do exactly? Associate of what? Screw this drama Im out like a fat kid in dodgeball.

You sir are the reason why I dont post here very often, thanks for reminding me what a shithole this place is turning into. Have a nice day.

12. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

"associate" LOL. WTF is he talking about!??! :NUTS

13. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Oh, saying '' maybe we should beat you with a dead horse '' is a compliment? My mistake I cant believe I didnt read between the lines, all's good if you have a smiley emoticon following directly after your threats.:rolleyes:

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Your guess is as good as mine.:D

15. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

This place is attracting some real winners lately.

16. jgyn

jgyn Member

I'm curious about the MJM Vibe, as I rarely see it discussed.

17. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

True, I heard Julien Kasper use one and it was huge, big sweep with an impressive throb. It almost made me duck when he turned it on, thinking it was coming up behind me:Spank. Nice, so I had to get one, knowing he runs his amps hot and loud, and I use OD's predominantly. So you don't know how it is going to be until you get it where you're going to use it. Again...
    :horse

Julien uses Fuzzes and distortions mostly, I found that placement of pedals and type of dirt box has a very determining effect on Chorus/vibe/phaser/vibrato (modulation) type pedals. so experiment freely to get what you're looking for.

18. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I've owned one of those as well as the Fulltones. Its a darker sound vibe in comparison to the mini deja (it's been several years since I've owned the white), and the MJM could be described as a little more raw.

There may be more variation in the MJM's than the Fulltone. I think Fuller has his photocells sourced and they may be subject to some tighter tolerances. I remember Michael at MJM saying that some of them may sound a little different due to the photocells (it's been a few years on that one). That is PURELY speculation, I have a memory but I'm no computer.

The MJM is a good vibe though. I prefer the Fulltone though because it has the suction sound (as I call it) associated with a good Uni-Vibe but a little more phasey sound.

I have never tried a Bob Sweet vibe but the clips I've heard are great and they have by far the deepest of the "suction" sound that I speak of according to the clips I have heard.

19. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

There's a vibrato setting on a Uni-Vibe??? I don't think anybody actually ever uses that setting. I tried it once back in the 70's... I think... All I remember is that it sucked and I couldn't figure out why it was there. Seriously, the vibe is all about the chorus setting. It's not really a vibe unless it's set there.

[​IMG]

I got this beating a dead horse from a different thread but I thought it was the ultimate.

[​IMG]

20. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

In regards to all of the "beating the horse" comments and the small flames that came about:

The original poster was simply asking for more information on a feature he doesn't use and was looking for an alternative that would suit him better. I don't see what is wrong with that.

People "beating the dead horse", flames wars start, and then the HC comparisons come out. I'm not going to disagree about what the forum is becoming, but calling the place a shithole isn't going to make it better is it? Just because someone puts the bait out in front of you doesn't mean you have to take a bite.

Just a thought.