"Vibey" Modulation Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wildmanmatt, Aug 3, 2006.

1. wildmanmatt

wildmanmatt Member

I've got my sound set right now between guitars, amp, and distortion/boost pedals. I'm looking for some killer modulation stuff. Mainly things that lend themselves to great ambient tones. I play in a pop-piano group, so typical shredding is not a prerequesite. Its sort of like coldplayish, brit stuff.

I have a SIB Mr. Echo that has become a staple for me, and a Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000. I have the Line 6 DL4 for now. It covers a lot of bases, but I'm not wild about it. Any good suggestions?

thanks

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really, really, really love my Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser. I can get a nice tremolo (not a "hard" tremolo, but really great sounding), phasing and uni-vibe sounds with it. Every setting sounds great. There really are no bad settings on the thing. The controls have weird names, but essentially there are 3 phase settings, 2 trem-o-phase settings (uni-vibe) and a tremolo settings, a speed control and a sort of depth control that adds more of the effect. The Deluxe Memory Man can add vibrato and chorus, it has a ton of great sounds as well. The next major purchase I will make is going to be an Electro-Harmonix H.O.G. guitar synthesizer... the P.O.G. is a lot of fun, there are a ton of great sounds to be had. You might check out getting an eBow as well...

3. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

+1 I have the standard version and love it.

4. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Pedalboard designed for killer swirl and ambient soundscapes...

[​IMG]

5. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Get the SIB! Mr. Fazeadelic. Affordable and AMAZING. Must better value than the Red Witch, some like it better. I've never tried the Red Witch but I'll tell you, I can't imagine having a better sounding phaser, and you can't beat it for the money.

6. sh333

sh333 Member

+1 on the DMP. It is a pretty versatile pedal as it can do many classic sounds as well as some less classic. It can get a vibey throb and do some trem sounds as well. I haven't sold one yet that the buyer didn't really dig.

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

The Silver pedal is the Red Witch Moon Phaser.

The bronzish colored pedal (its not really silver) labeled "chorus" is the Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Im not sure what the hell color it is. It's more gray than silver, more brown than metallic... Oxidized Silver perhaps? :horse

Its pretty cool. I traded mine for a Moon Phaser, but I really liked it. It's based on the original CE-1 chorus/vibrato. The vibrato is really nice (i had a hard time letting it go). The Chorus is warm and vibe-like, but it still sounds very much like a chorus.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think they're very different phasers.

The SIB phaser has 2 rates and feedback control, which is cool.

The Std. & Deluxe Moon Phasers have tremolo, vibe and phase sounds in 6 different flavors, rate & depth control.

The grounds for comparison are not quite even here because they do very different things. The build and sound of the DMP are fantastic- top notch, which is not exactly what I read about the SIB pedals when I was researching the Nick Nitro (I will eventually get a KR Doubler for that effect)...

10. drolling

drolling Member

For many years my only 'swirly' was a now discontinued Sweetsound Ultravibe (see above for a pic of the new Sweetsound Mojovibe) but lately, I've really gotten hooked on analogue delay modulation.

I don't know if you need repeat's longer than a 1/2 second, but if you don't, you might consider replacing your present pedal w/a Memory Man, a Memory Lane or a Jacques Prisoner - all great sounding analogue delays w/built-in modulation circuitry. Sounds nothing like phase/flange/chorus, but has it's own funky character..great for fleshing out rhythm parts.

11. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

All That I know is that the SIB Phaser sounds as good as any phaser clip I've ever heard. Can do all of the classic phaser sounds..so if he's looking for a PHASER and just that, I don't think he can lose with the SIB. If he's looking for something more versatile/crazy he might want the Red Witch. For classic Phaser sounds, the SIB does it all, and at half the price..

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

I agree, only had mine less than a week and I find myself playing it every chance I get. At first I thought ... "this is uni-vibe-ish..." then I turned the knobs a little and found myself thinking, "no, it's clearly more of a vibrato..." another quick tweak and... "hey, I can use this for subtle trem..." before I knew it, I was wondering "what effect is it making now"?!

It sounds very different depending on the speed and depth controls, which interact beautifully with each other, the guitar and other effects to create a very unique blend of swirl and throb. I had the Red Witch for a while, we never bonded. I've also had the Fulltone, Mayer and Foxrox Vibes, all of these pedals sacrificed something about your guitar's tone to achieve the effect. The BJF Vibe seems to enhance your sound and is much more successful at blending with the base tone.

13. wildmanmatt

wildmanmatt Member

what about leslie pedals, boys?

The only things I've even seen that are worth talking about are the Hughes and Kettner and the new Boss model. Is there a simpler model out there?

The info so far has been really helpful. Thanks a lot

14. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

JL,
    How you liking the TAW?
    How is the Snapper?
    What DreamTone pedal is that?
    TWO Echo Parks?
    Ever tried the EchoTAP? I'm thinking it over the ML.

15. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

Where did you find those oversized knobs?

16. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Arion SCH1 for leslie tones....the chorus ain't bad either. Yeah the case is plastic but tough plastic. And it gets a sound like no other....a fantasic value. But don't confuse it with the current SCZ model.

Bob

17. JohnLutz

Here's what's on the board...

top row: Mojovibe, Boss PH-1r, Boss TU-2, Voodoo Labs PP2, Landgraff DO, EB jr vol.
    middle row: Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser, DreamTone Magic Boost II, Menatone Red Snapper, Xotic BB Preamp
    bottom row: Retrosonic Chorus, Diamond Memory Lane, Echo Park, A/B Looper, Echo Park, Tap-a-Whirl

18. JohnLutz

>>How you liking the TAW?
    It's nice. Has excellent footswitches. Solid tap tempo function.

>>How is the Snapper?
    This one survived comparison with at least a dozen other pedals. It doesn't add much of its own thing except for tightening up the low end. It just pushes your amp to sound better.

>>What DreamTone pedal is that?
    Magic Boost II. It fattens up my EL84 amp nicely and adds clarity.

>>TWO Echo Parks?
    The one on the left is for dotted eighth note delay on my rhythm loop. The one on the right is for lead delay. The A/B switch between lets me switch between a rhythm and a lead sound. This allows two different delay settings for a single song. I'm thinking of getting a Prisoner for lead delay.

>>Ever tried the EchoTAP? I'm thinking it over the ML.
    The EchoTAP is very likeable. It's sorely missing a dotted eighth setting and modulation. It depends what you want to do. For rhythmic (U2) style delays, the EchoTAP would be better because it's clearer but it doesn't have the dotted eighth setting. For lead or slapback delay EchoTAP is excellent (although mod would be cool for lead). For an ambient singing soundscape, you can't beat the ML.

>>Where did you find those oversized knobs?
    In a parts drawer at the local Radio Shack. They are exactly the same as the one that came on the Mojovibe.

John