Vibramate?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 12guitdown, Aug 27, 2008.

1. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Looks interesting. I've never tried a Bigsby before and don't want to find out that I don't like them after sacrificing drill holes in one of my guitars. Seems like a great way to test the waters here.

Anyone have experience with vibramate?

http://www.vibramate.com/index.html

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Also, will this accommodate an archtop like a 335 or LP? Their photos only demonstrate a slab LP Jr. like guitar.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll give em a call tomorrow.

3. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Alright, I just called them. Nice guy to talk to and is very ecstatic about the product. He said they were originally intended for flat top guitars, ex. LP jrs., SGs, but accommodate archtops as well. However, with archtops there might be a little lift at the tail side. Here's a photo from the bigsby site of a Epi 335 at Namn with a vibramate installed. Lower right photo. http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/news10.html

Doesn't appear to have any lift and looks pretty decent.

He also said it can be purchased at gretschgear.com for 59.95 and Elderly is supposed to start carrying them soon.

There's not a lot of info on these as it is a new product. I'll be awaiting first impressions though.:munch

4. PapaDave

PapaDave Member

I bought one last week and am awaiting delivery. Should be any time now. I will check back in when I install it. I just got the new B5 Bigsby. It's for an Agile AD 2300, which is a slab Les Paul Jr. clone. didn't want to drill holes as I've never tried a Bigs, but figure if I don't like it I can turn the Bigsby and the vibramate.

5. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

6. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Any update on this? I'd like a vibrato on an LP of mine and as far as I know, the non-drilling options are this, one of these which is pretty ugly and expensive, or this which seems neat but I can't see how it could stay in tune very well at all, even moreso than a Bigsby.

...Although, I googled the Les Trem a bit as I typed this and it seems it's pretty well-received and an option on Reverend guitars, who I respect quite a bit. Maybe I'll bite the bullet on one.

edit: Also just found this but that's WAY expensive for something I'll only occasionally use.

7. Grenville

Grenville Member

Clever solution...

8. Zero_

Zero_ Member

9. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

PapaDave, What's the word? Post a pic when you can.

Well I'm gonna hold off on the 335 for now because I went with a bigsby on my Tele.
    The B5 works great. Here's a pic-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Zero_

Zero_ Member

Does anyone know if this plate exists/works only for Les Paul stud spacing, (i.e. 3-1/4" - 8.25cm) or also for other standards?

11. PapaDave

PapaDave Member

Well I've had it on for about a week now and it totally rocks. Extremely easy to install, literally in five minutes. (Took way longer to string it up than install it.) It sounds fantastic, just the right amount of wobble and shimmeroopie. This is my first Bigsby, and I'm loving it.

I figured the Vibramate was right up my alley since I am NOT much of a whammy guy at all. Just for a little punctuation here and there. I figured that if I never use the Bigsby, or don't like the sound, the reversability of the Vibramate made the "tryout" worthwhile. Well, I'm a keepin' it!

I really love it, and it's staying, but on the *off chance* (snicker) that I ever sell the guitar, I can still uninstall and keep a genuine Bigsby since the guitar will look like it was never on there.

Verdict: Two thumbs up, a great product, wonder why no one thought of it before. And yes, way way better than that ugly ZZguitars thing, which I did look at before this came out.

Heres a pic: http://www.dave.rainey.net/Agile2.jpg

12. PapaDave

PapaDave Member

Oh, and I got a roller bridge from Guitar Fetish for about twenty bucks or so. Fits perfectly.

13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Hmm I wonder if the Vibramate will ever come in gold.

14. PapaDave

PapaDave Member

I don't think it matters since it's mostly covered by the Bigsby itself.

15. magnido45

magnido45 Member

Thanks for the review!

16. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

how much is it?

17. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

18. gtr_5155

gtr_5155 Member

I just painted mine with some textured black automotive paint.So little of the plate shows beneath the gold B5 that it just looks like a shadow line.I got mine from W D Music,along with a ste ot Graph Tech saddles.Works like a charm on my Stromberg.

19. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

You got a Vibramate from WD? Don't see it on their site.

Al

20. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

In theory, the Vibramate should work....

In reality, it's not the ideal way to install a Bigsby on a flat top guitar. The Bigsby sits up too high on the body to provide enough break angle over the bridge. The mechanism doesn't have enough resistance to return the guitar to tune.

I tried it. Jury's still out...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008