1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vibrations in chassis, but not on a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by alanfc, Oct 21, 2005.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

hi,
    can there be vibrations in the chassis of an amp head even if its not atop a cabinet?
    I mean its connected yes, but atleast 1 ft. away from any vibration from the cab.
    Thanks

2. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

I suppose the answer would be yes. Anything from earthquakes to large trucks travelling past to the sonic wall o' death coming from the speaker cab a foot away.

Why do you ask?

3. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks I was trying to make it simple (simple is against my nature)

OK
    At rehearsal, full band volume, I have my Rivera head on the floor next to my 2x12,,, not on top, but next to... this is because I have solder joint issues:mad: which are going to be fixed soon.
    Anyway in my FX loop along with some other FX I have my Boss Blues driver as a solo boost. In the loop. The return level on my loop I have set 1/2 tick above unity gain at 7.
    I play for a couple hours of rehearsal, using the Boss boost, no problems. This solo boost isn't that loud really....Then at one point after hitting the solo boost I get this loud insane noise like an amp with a cable thats come out of a guitar you know this sound 'errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruummmmm'..... I run to the amp, turn down the volumes, but the noise is still raging on. I fiddle with cable a sec. then just turn the thing to standby , then off.
    Given that I have joint issues already, probably in my power section somewhere (says my tech), I wanted to know if my solo boost hitting the power section made some vibration...much like the vibration I'm trying to avoid for now....(hence amp head on the floor not on the cab)

hope that made sense
    :dude

4. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

If you have joint pains with the head on the cab, it wouldn't surprise me at all if just being in the same room with the full band would also trigger the problem. If it's a hard floor (concrete?) chances are even better.

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks

miraculously enough, I took in my amp at lunch after posting here and within 4 hours he was finished. (I'm sure among other jobs, he only charged me an hour)
    He said my whole problem was a ground that was at the center of everything (?) or something called a "star" ground. Its all Greek to me. I asked him if I had caused the problem or how I could prevent it, and he said not really, sometimes it's age or a variety of reasons. The amp was made in 1993.
    I do still want to get a head case for it.

/edit/
    oh yeah this must be what he meant
    http://www.aikenamps.com/StarGround.html