Vibrato bar for an LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dotlikeimpact, Jan 29, 2008.

1. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Okay, I've got a beloved "pre-lawsuit" Tokai Love Rock that I'm planning on adding some kind of vibrato/trem to. Right now, I'm thinking either Bigsby, Stetsbar or the Schaller LP tremolo. I mostly use wang bars for subtle country detuning on chords or adding a bit of vibrato to a bent note. Nothing big. I know the Stetsbar is de riguer these days for this, but, it's big, ugly and expensive. I'm leaning Bigsby, just because I tend to love those for the style I use. What kind of pros/cons can I expect?

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The only neg to a Bigsby for your usage is you have to drill holes for the screws.

3. dotlikeimpact

Drilling holes isn't a big thing on this guitar. It's been through hell and back... Re-topped, headstock crack repair, binding cracks, etc. I just love this damn thing. Lot of tuning issues with a Bigsbified LP?

4. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

I've never understood that Schaller. It looks like it mounts to the bridge posts.

[​IMG]

I'm happy with both of my LesTrems. Be advised that the adhesive that holds the spring base in place may scar a nitro finish. No problem with poly though.

[​IMG]

I swapped the handle on the one on the right with a Gibson vibrola style.

[​IMG]

5. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I have an Edwards LP that I added a Bigsby to - no tuning issues for me, haven't even had to think about locking tuners, though I know some folks use them.

For me, although the other vibrato bars may be as or more functional, the Bigsby is just so fricking cool I didn't really consider the alternatives.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

So what is this sick thing?

[​IMG]

7. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I went through this same thing for years. Like you said, I couldn't stomach the Stetsbar, and really wanted the Bigsby, but didn't want to have the holes that it leaves showing.

I had a really, really nice black LP standard that I really, really wanted to convert. I ended up selling it here on TGP to buy a Gretsch PowerJet (Duo Jet) w/ TV Jones pickups and of course, the Bigsby.

So how did it work out? It was my first Les Paul from '91 with the lowest action I could pull-off on any guitar I've ever had. Well, I think you can tell I still have doubts about selling that one, but that has nothing to do with the drive for a Bigsby.

The Gretsch has some definite pluses....it is a pound lighter than the LP....with the Bigsby. And it sounds great. The only possible draw is whether or not you can work with the harmonics and feedback created from the chambering required to keep the weight in line. All in all I am very happy with the guitar and I am glad I didn't mod the LP.

Incidentally, I've seen some pretty nice other options out on eBay. There's a 57 RI that looks really sweet. Had I not jumped on the Gretsch I would be very seriously considering that one. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300194236740&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

8. dotlikeimpact

When you add a bigsby, are the old stop tailpiece stud holes visible? I don't care about new holes, but the old ones showing would be something I'd want to address.

9. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

IIRC, one is kind of hidden and the other is pretty obvious. Let me see if I can find my thread from way back when and I'll post the link.

10. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

11. dotlikeimpact

12. rooster

rooster Member

Thoughts? Stetsbar.

rooster.