Vibrato on my 66 Pro Reverb ain't working. Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave Stagno, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Dave Stagno

Dave Stagno Member

Hey guys, I bought a 66 Pro reverb amp (blackface). The vibrato wasn't working when i bought it. I assumed it was just the tube because the tube looked shot. I bought a brand new tube and the vibrato still doesn't work. What else could it be? I'm trying to see if I can avoid bringing it to a tech if possible. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2. russ

russ Supporting Member

The jack for the footswitch must be grounded for the vib to work.
    Is the foot switch connected?

3. zenas

zenas Member

What Rass said and tubes look about the same good or bad. Ok smashed ones aside.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

I had this happen on my 64 Deluxe and it ended up being the vibrato bug...I bought one for cheap and replaced and everything was fine...but I am an electronic tech so it was no problem...

Vibrato (tremolo) is accomplished with what is known as a "vibrato bug" by Fender amplifier repairmen. The vibrato bug is a four-wire device consisting of a neon tube and light-dependent variable resistor, packaged in a short section of black tubing. It resembles a water bug, with slender wispy legs. The tube generated vibrato oscillator pulsates the neon light, which varies the resistance on the resistive element.

Chow,
    Seegs

5. Dave Stagno

Dave Stagno Member

The footswitch is connected. And the Reverb works fine, maybe it's this "bug" you're talking about. Where can I get one of these? Is it easy to install? Thanks for the responses everyone.