Vibrato pedals....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGrooveking, Oct 24, 2005.

1. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I love my BOSS VB-2 Vibrato, but don't want it to get all banged up, besides the huge price I paid, I would like to leave it for home use. What other vibrato pedals have you guys played that would compare?

[​IMG]

Very unique vibrato pedal, neither of my many vibe pedals get the same effect, they get close, but no cigar!

TheGrooveking

2. erksin

erksin Member

I don't know why Boss doesn't reissue that thing - one of the coolest pedals they ever made IMO...

3. A440

A440 Supporting Member

cool pedal. the guys from Counting Crows use it a lot.

I've seen a number of mods for the boss chorus pedals which are supposed to get very close to the old vibrato pedal.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Never actually answered your question, guees I was trying to keep the drool off my keyboard...

I've got a DLS Chorus~Vibe that does VB-2 tones very well (I stupidly sold my VB-2 about 15 years ago), and also gets pretty close to the CE-1 stuff as well.

5. 6789

6789 Member

I'm looking for one too. right now I use a Line 6 MM4 but it's so big and takes up too much room on my pedalboard. I posted a similar question and most people sugested vibe pedals. But I want a pedal that makes the pitch go up and down like the Boss or the Line 6.

6. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    The Retro-sonic Chorus Ensemble has a vibrato option -- I'm wondering how close it comes to the old Boss vibrato.

7. erksin

erksin Member

I'm guessing pretty damn close since it's touted as a CE-1 replica. I never owned the CE-1 and the VB-2 at the same time, so I can't give you an accurate A/B comparison - but I think they were quite similar in base tone.

8. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

9. erksin

erksin Member

Great pedal, but not a Vibrato pedal - he's looking for pitch-shifting...

10. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have a few Sweet Sound Electronics Vibes....

[​IMG]

TheGrooveking

11. A440

A440 Supporting Member

lol, ck out pedaldoctor.com

they have a vibro-chorus mod for the CE-2. sounds like it'll cop the vibe (pun intended) you're looking for :)

all you need to find is a CE-2...

12. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Austone VibroStomp. Marketed more as a trem pedal, but I like the vibrato effect on it better than the trem.

13. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Electro-Harmonix Pulsar.

Pros: True bypass, wave form controls, <100 bucks
    Cons: big footprint

14. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Stick it in one of these and bring the original out w/ya
    (this way you get the sound and don't have to step on it ... you also get it TBP'd this way):

[​IMG]

15. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Thanks for the info, I also did a side by side comparison of the vibe side of the Carl Martin Trem O' Vibe and even though it is a cool unit, it is not as watery as the BOSS VB-2, it just doesn't have the same shimmer to it. The Arion SCH-1 has the watery element to it's sound, but it doesn't have the almost what I called unexpectant interval to it's modulation that the VB-2 has. It's hard to quantify the unique tone of the VB-2, but I may end up buying another one of these high dollar stompers.

The true bypass box works, but it still exposes my existing VB-2 to theft and damage. I am pretty good with pedals, luckily I haven't stomped one to death yet. I have three CE-2's I may send one to PedalDoctor for the Vibro-Chorus mod. I already have a Keeley HiFi modded CE-2.

TheGrooveking

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I also have the Mojo vibe, and LOVE it...

But I was wondering, for a less expensive addition (I'm thinking..the Mojo SHINES on slower vibe settings, and faster is easier for lesser pedals to handle...it was the slower ones that none of the inexpensive did very well...so I get one that is one of the vibe-trem pedals, and get a little tremolo when I want it without a seperate pedal!) and haven't yet tried it but wondered about the Marshall vibe-o-trem or whatever it is called...

Anyone here try one, and what did you think (especially on the faster settings for vibe, and the slower to medium settings on trem?)

17. baguiocity

baguiocity Member

can someone pls. enlighten me...the vb2 sounds just like a pitch vibrato with a bit of slight swirly vibe at fast settings.The ultra vibe and the ones pictured above can do the trower/hendrix machine gun stuff from what i know, so why are they mentioned in the same thread?I have the vb2 and im pretty sure theres no machine gun sound there unless.....?

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I might be missing YOUR point, but the thread was for vibrato pedals, and the UV is a vibrato (vibrato OR chorus settings, also the Deja Vibe, the Deja-mini-vibe, the megavibe..etc. All that I know of in fact have a switch to go from "vibrato" to "chorus") that can nail the Hendricx/Trower on chorus setting...but they have vibrato settings also.

Maybe I missed what the point was here? Was it just one specific pedal, or vibe pedals in general?

Still wondering too if anyone out there reading owns or has played the Marshall vibe/trem pedal and has anything to say about it?

19. erksin

erksin Member

I don't have any direct experience with Vibe pedals except for the MagicBoy and VooDoo Labs Micro Vibe, but what I'm refering to is pitch-shifting Vibrato pedals WITHOUT the phasey qualities of Vibe pedals - big difference in the tones. If any of those Vibe units can do real pitch-shifting Vibrato without the phase, I don't think he'd be asking us for alternatives...