Vibrato unit rings in unison with "B" notes!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DoctorBob, Feb 22, 2012.

1. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

I have a Grosh Electrajet with a strat type vibrato arm with out the whammy bar in.It was set with #3 tight springs inside so that the bottom of the unit was flush to the wood on the face of the guitar

I am told guitars sound more vibrant with the bottom just off the wood so as to get a ring going, rather than on the wood

I did this, but when one hits a "B", the springs vibrate harmonically with the note and do not stop-annoying!

So: 1) Should the unit, sans whammy which I do not use, float as stated
    2)If so, how does one get rid of the harmonic ringing "B" note?

I know some players, EC to name one, block their unused vibrato unit--that would seem to achieve a goal opposite to what I am suggesting with the slight float...

2. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Try stuffing the trem spring cavity with cotton balls; I have a Bladerunner trem installed on my Strat, and this trick helped tame the "reverb always on, even when it ain't" sound for me.

3. SteveO

SteveO Member

I have a pair of foam ear plugs tucked under the springs, right near the claw, on my PRS. They haven't slipped out of place in fourteen years or so, and they dampen the springs without any effect on the action of the trem.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i dunno who told you that :rolleyes:

if you're not using the bar, then you're creating a pointless headache for yourself with a moving floating bridge, trading a very real stability drawback for an imaginary tonal difference.

5. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

My source for this floating trem concept (sans whammy bar) was none other than the legendary guitar tech,Skip Goez.He positions the bottom of the trem unit just above the wood-I mean millimeters-not enuff to get a real pitch change when you bend strings.I do this on all my strats and there really is a tonal difference.Vince Cunetto quotes (paraphrases) Leo Fender as saying the real reason he used springs was for the chime (or something like that).In any case, I am a believer so I do monkee around with that .The Electrajet is the first one ever to "reverb out" on me--I'll try the foam ear plugs-hope it won't defeat Skip and Leo's chime...