Vibro champ Date?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 55bar, Jan 2, 2008.

1. 55bar

55bar Member

Hi Guys just out of curiosity i'd like to try and get an idea when my vibro champ (silver face) was made. The amp has 014077 and (E1) A606 930 stamped on the transformer. on the chassis it has F111 615 then underneath that in a sort of ink stamp it has 1859. The tube chart is still in the bottom but doesn't have seem to have any numbers of letters on it apart from the "manufactured under the following patents" 2817708 and 192859. The tube chart also has this code in the lower left corner 010388F.

The power valves say GT 3y5, GT 6v6, 2x 12AX7. One of the power tubes is totally different to the other one its sort of narrower at the top then bulbs out towards the bottom then thins out towards the very bottom of the valve.It has "made in Canada and the word "marconi" (i Think) written on it. Please excuse my ignorance in these matters I'm just learning!!

Any information would be welcome, sorry again for my absolute lack of knowledge on these matters!

Kind regards

Craig.

2. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I could be wrong but I believe the transformer # dates it to either 69' or 79'.
    606 is the code and the next number is the production year.... 9
    30 is the 30th week.

3. blackba

blackba Member

http://www.svvintageamps.com/dating.php

Based on the transformer it could be a '69 or '79

Can you get any numbers off the pots or the other transformer? It should have a power transformer and an output transformer.

4. 55bar

55bar Member

Is the output transformer, the long silver cylinder next to the power transformer? How do i look at the pots? If you haven't already guessed i have no technical knowledge with amps.

Thanks for your quick response

Kind regards

Craig

5. blackba

blackba Member

The silver transformer is the output transformer, the black one is the power transformer. Here is a picture of my '66 BF champ.

[​IMG]

The back of the chassis should have a number engraved into the chassis. This site shows how to decode that number. That should help determine if it is a '69 or '79. If its a '69 it might be a 'drip edge' (aluminum trim around the grill cloth).

http://www.tcguitar.com/articles/gagliano_pt5.html

To get the numbers off the pots you have to pull the chassis, try just the chassis dating 1st and the transformers.

6. 55bar

55bar Member

Well according to that site A6 + 5-digits - 1976 My transformer code is A606 930. Not sure that solves it. Why is there no stamp on my valve chart either? Thanks for the pic.

Rgds

Craig

7. 55bar

55bar Member

Chassis number is F111 615. this is engraved on the back.

C :)

8. blackba

blackba Member

For the date code on the transformer drop the A606, so its '69 or '79 and week 30 of whichever year it is.

The black power transformer should have some numbers stamped on it too. Check those. Pictures would help too. The tube chart on the silverfaces does not have a date code, at least none of my tube charts do.

Can you get the number off that silver can cap (tall silver can in the picture I posted), I think that has a date code on it? http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/ffg_faq.html See item 4.

My mallory cap has a 235-6626K, which is 1966 week 26 for example. I think this cap is your best bet....

9. blackba

blackba Member

So did you figure it out yet?

10. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Can you post a pic of the back of the amp? If the speaker baffle is removeable it is probably a 1969, if the baffle is datoed into the cabinet and has a removeable grille, it is probably a 1979.

MikeY