Vibro Champ Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rivi, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Rivi

Rivi Member

2. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

i was not impressed with vibro champ... definitely post clips when you switch speakers.

3. Rivi

Rivi Member

Well if i go with the Jensen i already have a 1-10 cab with a MOD 10-35 8 ohm already in it.So if i put a MOD 10-35 8 ohm in the Vibro Champ i could run both 10's in a parallel at 4 ohm total or just use the Vibro Champ with the MOD 8 ohm at times by itself.If i install a 4 ohm speaker in the Vibro Champ i won't be able to use the extra cab.

THNKING>>>>........toss out your ideas. TY

4. Rivi

Rivi Member

I have the 10 inch Jensen MOD 10-35 watt 8 ohm speaker in the vibro champ.Sounds very good,nice highs and alot more bass.It doesn't quite as loud,i'm thinking about adding a 2 ohm resistor to the speaker circuit and see if it dains anything.I'm also ordering another Jenson Mod 10-35 8 ohm then i'll run both speakers which will get me 4 ohms again.

5. Rivi

Rivi Member

Well the MOD 10-35 is ok but its not as nice as the stock 8 inch IMO.I'm going to order one of these [​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320281812764&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=280252539856&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BIA%26itu%3DIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42 and try that next.Its 4 ohms so it may sound better than the 8 ohm Jensen MOD speaker.I wonder how the 50watt rating of this speaker will effect the amp?

6. cugel

cugel Member

weber
    weber
    weber

7. Faustine Amps

Faustine Amps Member

I second that!

Regards,
    Tim Gregoire

8. Rivi

Rivi Member

I know very little about speakers so i'll ask,the speaker in that ebay auction i posted.Does it look like a BASS guitar speaker or a regular guitar?

I realize weber would be a great choice but i'm cheap LOL

9. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Rivi why are you even asking after so many others have made the suggestion on other threads

There are other choices as well but none so ill informed as the ones you lean towards without ryme or reason. Intentionally mismatching the load as well without full consideration towards the cosequence is trully a NO BRAINer

at least look at the site. TED Weber is the man and his web site contains more info then you'll ever need

50 watt speaker for a 6 watt amp what do you think ?

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

not cheap penny wise dollar foolish the amp is worth some do re mi dont blow it litterally

11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

go to the weber site and buy a 10 sig if thats what you want

12. Rivi

Rivi Member

I looked at webers site and i see 4 different 8 inch signature series speakers.An Al8,Al8s,Ceramic 8 and a Ceramic 8s.There is some info about the speakers on the site but maybe someone here that used one of thse could make some comments on them.

From the info i've found so far the Sig Ceramic 8 sounds like it would be good for what i like.I want super fender clean at times but i also want crunch when i hit the switch to drop the feedback circuit out.
    With the 10 inch Jensen MOD 10-35 it lost that fender clean tone.Sounds nice when the feeback circuit is off though and it also gets much louder without the feedback circuit connected.With the standard fender 8 inch speaker the sound difference between having the feedback on or off is not much.With the 10 inch speaker the difference is huge.

thanks

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  13. Rivi

Rivi Member

How do i do that?I have a clip saved on my computer.

14. Rivi

Rivi Member

http://www.youtube.com/v/xSpLlKRgcNI Jensen MOD 10-35 thats with a 250k pot in the feed back circuit set at 3 on the dial(aprox 30k ohms)be kind i havn't played in years and i have bad arthritis so it takes me time to move around the neck.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  15. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Rivi, I was in a similar situation - My Vibro Champ was all original but with a busted speaker, so it has an 8" baffle. I used a Weber Z-Matcher so the ohms would line up, and sent the Vibro Champ to my Princeton's 12" 8 Ohm Celestion Blue. Killer alnico. But for convenience it's nice to have a working speaker in the vibrochamp so I don't have to set up the Princeton and Z-Matcher every time, so I got the Weber Signature 8" Alnico for 25 bucks and popped it in the Vibro Champ. Sweet highs, nice mids, bass is clear but will flab out if you push it too hard in clean mode, in overdrive the flab is wiped away - that's kinda the nature of a smaller speaker tho, no fault of the Weber. Here's two examples of my VC after the weber in there -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io7YIB27FBI

That one doesn't have a good sound, it uses an onboard mic from the camera, but it gives an idea of the clean and OD and distortion/fuzz sound through an 8" Speaker. Below is one recorded with a Zoom H4 and effects on full blast-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3F6N6hPdU&feature=user&fmt=18

It only "farts out" when i start strumming super hard, but even then it kind of goes with the song. But don't expect headroom for days like with a 12" in a big cab - it's always going to be a bit boxy. But again, for 25 bucks, what's the harm? Get a Sig 8.

16. Rivi

Rivi Member

M hands hurt so bad from arthritis playing just a little i'm kinda disgusted.I might just sell it.