1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Vibro Champ Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stratomarco, May 20, 2011.

1. Stratomarco

Stratomarco Member

Hallo All! I own a ’65 Blackface Vibro Champ. It came with this tubes:
    - 1 x 6V6GTA GE ELECTRONICS (Power)
    - 1 x 5Y3GT SYLVANIA (Rectifier)
    - 1 x 7025 USA (Pre)
    - 1 x 12AX7 JAPAN (Vibrato)

Questions:
    1) What are the best modern tubes (Not NOS) I can buy for this Fender Amp?
    2) Do I have to buy a 7025 and a 12AX7 or is better to buy two matched 12AX7?

Wait for your opinions... Marco

2. Mudder

Mudder Member

I use a JJ 6v6, original 5y3, and 2 chinese 12ax7. Everything works and sounds great.

3. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

I don't have anything helpful to add, except to say (1) I have a '65 Vibro Champ, and it is the best sounding amp in human history; (2) mine still has the original Telefunken 12AX7 in it; (3) I'd spring for a NOS 6V6--they aren't that expensive and last forever (and sound great too).

-The Unhelpful Vibro Champ Owner,
    Blauserk

4. Stratomarco

Stratomarco Member

I've read on internet some differences between Electro Harmonix and JJ (and also Tung Sol and TAD) but never listened.
    Does anyone can help?
    C'mon... Thank you

StratoMarco

5. willc68

willc68 Member

I always keep an assortment of tubes around both new, used, and nos.
    Try out some different ones and see what sounds best to you.
    To some degree, other than the trem tube, changing out the old tubes for some different ones will change the sound a bit and sometimes drastically.
    The great thing about champs and vibro champs is you can totally retube for less than 20 bucks.

6. Dezzy

Dezzy Member

They last forever ? mine blew anpeg rca tube last week, dam thing blew a resister too, now I just orded some chinese made gt tubes, and it blew one of them, thought it was the amp, but it's been checked, its them crappy gt tubes, so the 2nd gt is in now, till next week and I buy some JJs

7. LPVM

LPVM Member

You may need to replace the filter cap (the multi-cap can). That's probably dried up and causing to to burn up your power tubes.