Vibro King.... Any noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by parkhill, Sep 15, 2008.

1. parkhill

parkhill Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice from anyone who owns a fender vibro-king.

My questions:

1. Does the Vibro King hum at idle like the Custom Vibrolux Reverb?

2. For those who have played both amps, how do the clean tones compare?

The story (for those interested):

A while back I owned a Custom Vibrolux Reverb. It was a love hate thing. It was definitely one of the best amps I've owned, but it had this constant humming noise that I understand is common to those amps. Eventually I let it go because my living situation wasn't such where I could play loud. I've missed that tone ever since.

My situation is now more volume friendly, and I've thought about getting another CVR, but the Vibro King has also caught my eye. I like the 3 speaker configuration, the effects loop, the fact that the reverb is more controllable, etc. People seem to love that amp. I am trying to find one in my area to test out but that is proving a bit difficult. So I'm hoping any King owners can offer help.

Thanks in advance.

2. stratlad

stratlad Member

I sold my VI but it was pretty darn quiet, esp for a 60-watt amp. The Custom Vibrolux Reverbs are notorious for hissing.

Hard to compare these 2 amps. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that the Vibrolux is a junior VK - The VK is unique and very good at what it does. I would warn you that each VK sounds a bit different. I've played some I thought were the best amp I've heard (my friends VK) and some I thought were horribly grainy sounding. Mine was kinda in between Very impressive but ultimately not right for my style, which requires a more traditional blackface clean tone. The VK is also heavy and unbalanced.

However I will defend it as a great amp - it's a significant upgrade over a custom vibrolux reverb. At low volumes the VK is very sweet and its tone changes (by design) as you crank it up to get somewhat wilder. It has relatively low headroom past 3-1/2 on the volume but tis loud enough that should nto be a huge problem.

Happy Hunting.

3. docmh

docmh Member

I have a Vibro-King, and unfortunately it is a noisy amp. To me, it sounds like
    a ground switch should be thrown the other way, but there is none. Its a great sounding amp though and at playing levels with a band you don't notice it. I do wish it was quieter though. I thought it might just be my amp, but I
    have heard its inherent to the design. I haven't had the pleasure of playing
    the Vibrolux, so I can't compare the two.
    I'd love to hear from other owners if they have the same problem, and if it can be quieted down somehow.

4. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Hmmmmmmmm.......Mines nice and quite.

5. Faze

Faze Member

My King sings! No hum at all. Just pure lush tone.

6. docmh

docmh Member

I better take mine to a tech to see why I'm getting that noise.

7. English Jim

English Jim Member

8. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Quiet here expect for the reverb pop, but at 3 on the volume you can't even hear an airplane flying by let alone any amp noise!!

9. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member

Same for Me. I purchased a second hand blonde tolex and touch wood no noise in 7 years.

I have heard the newer version (black tolex) was a different beast. I can't say from experience as I( haven't played one).

Worth investigating before committing your money.

Anyone know if had different specs that would account for this suggestion/ rumour?

10. parkhill

parkhill Member

Thanks for the replies. It seems like it isn't an abnormally noisy amp. That's good news to hear. I still definitely want to play one before sinking money into it. Then again, if I buy a used one online and don't like it I can probably get most of my money back by re-selling it. So it's not a deal breaker.

A friend contacted me today with a good deal on a 69 Super Reverb. I may give that a look as well. At least its something I can try out and play with my own gear.

11. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

I just got a Vibro King and when it works it's very quiet. (sounds fantastic too)

When it doesn't work it's also very quiet........:phones

12. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

13. Jalexquijani

Jalexquijani Member

Im having bad ground issues with this amp

14. Jalexquijani

Jalexquijani Member

Ground loop somewhere. When you touch any metal part of the amp or guitar it dissapears. Tech hasnt been able to find the solution. Anyone?

15. MichaelDCarter

MichaelDCarter Member

---------

I was a devoted VK player for a few years. It's sounds great for what it does. It's heavy. But it can be very unreliable. I don't know the ins and outs of if there were any changes, etc., but the ones I had would have to go the tech with some frequency when they were played loud. I couple really good techs both stated that these amps had known issues. I've had amps blow tubes, and emit smoke etc over 30 years, but the VK is the only amp I ever had to drag outside quickly because of the amount of smoke and burning. I honestly don't know if changes were made, but I do know I wasn't the only early adopted to have these problems. Two solid techs knew about it when I brought the amps in. The VK is touch sensitive and does it's thing very well. But after getting a great tweed and a SR I Feld I had the fender bases covered.

The active EQ in the VK is interesting. You can really push the power section at lower volumes. It takes a while to learn how to use it.

If you into Clapton, it's worth researching all the issues Clapton had with finding stage volume midrange tones before he game up on the VK. Your ears may differ, but Eric is pretty good with tone.

16. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

CVR noise to VK are night and day.

17. ultra

ultra Member

No unwanted noise from my VibroKing.

18. Jalexquijani

Jalexquijani Member

Nobody answers my grounding issues. I touch the metal part of the amp or the guitar bridge and it stops. Lift my hand and the buzz comes back. I dont have this issue with my 1959 marshall hand wire. Why with this amp?

19. parkhill

parkhill Member

Whoa! Blast from the past! I started this thread ten years ago. Crazy to see it resurface. I've since owned the amp in question and really enjoyed it. I had the 2x12 extension cab as well. I had to sell it all a few years back to pay some bills and I'm now running a Mesa Lonestar 100.