1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Vibro-king speaker load tech question ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markooo, May 18, 2011.

1. markooo

markooo Member

I understand that there are two output jacks, first one powers the amp speakers and the second one could power an additional 4 ohm cab and that there must be a jack inserted in output #1 for the second to function.

I want to unplug the jack powering the 3 speakers in the combo and just hear a cab I picked up.

Easy enough, but the cab is a 4 ohm load and I understand that the load from the 3 internal speakers create a 2.6 omh load.

I think as a general rule, a 4 ohm output can power 4 or 8 ohms, going up one notch but not down to 2 ohm.

So is it ok for a 2.6 output to power a 4 ohm load ( I believe yes ... want to double check ) and how is the 2.6 actually calculated from 3 speakers ?

I understand that in series is additive and parallel is aXa/a+a ... and sort of understant that 4 speakers are a combination of series wired in parallel ... but how are my 3 blue frame speakers wired/calculate to create a 2.6 load ?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. docmh

docmh Member

As I understand it, the Vibro-King actually runs at 2 ohms output. The 3 speakers at 2.6 run at a slight mismatch already. 2 -8 ohm speakers in parallel give you 4 ohms (8 ohms divided by 2 speakers), so 3- 8 ohm speakers is roughly 2.6 ohms (8 ohms divided by 3 speakers).
    I'm not sure of the 2nd part of the question. Like you, I've heard it's safe to go up a notch but not down, but after reading info on this, I'm not really sure. Some people say yes, some no. http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/schematics/vibro_king_manual.pdf. Some tech stuff about the amp I didn't know.

3. billyjett

billyjett Member

I have a Vibro King, and if you want the straight scoop, call Fender and talk to someone in the custom shop. I called there once to ask a question about my amp, and they were very helpful and put me in touch with a tech who new his stuff.

4. markooo

markooo Member

Thanks for suggestion. The sad truth is that I just called Fender's support for the second time and this time I asked for the # to the custom shop.

No help.

I then again asked my basic questions that he either could not answer or he had the wrong answer. Basically I could only talk to an idiot named Cameron that did not even understand the basic questions regarding amps, speakers and load values. He could spit out answers that were partially correct from a manual he was reading - but that is all.

And there was no supervisor I could talk to either !!!

Pretty sad that I own their flagship amp and can talk to no one about the product.

I did talk to a guy at Mesa - he had the answers ... and I talked to a sales person at Wilcutt Guitars in Lexington KY - and he had the same answers.

I AM A NOVICE, KNOW ENOUGH TO BE DANGEROUS, AND STILL MORE THAN CAMERON THE TECH REP AT FENDER.