Vibroking owners - what cable do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zzzezums, Jan 16, 2008.

1. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

I use either Evidence Audio Lyric HG or Two Rock Crystal Clear. I'm starting to think that my tone emphasizes a little too much upper mids (slightly too bright). Any suggestions?

2. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

tie a knot in the cable and add duct tape..:D ;)

3. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

you could try canare cable with switchcraft or neutrik ends... there supposed to be a little 'darker', they don't let thru as much high end as say george l's...

4. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

To answer with a question: why do you believe that's a product of the cable instead of, say, your pickups or the VK's speakers?

5. zzzezums

My tone was less bright before I invested in these "high end" cables; everything else has stayed the same. The amp was made to shine in the mids/upper mids and that's why I love it, but since using the new cables it sounds a bit too bright to my ears. I was just asking VK owners what they used and how it affected their tone. Thanks for your response coolhand.

6. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Fair enough. I asked b/c it seems there are lots of VKs out there which could use either new power tubes & a proper bias job, or at least one new speaker after years of wear on the stock alnico repros. Agreed, btw, that it's a midrange monster.

I've plugged in with the Evidence HG cable once, don't know a thing about the Two Rock, but I've been satisfied with the Mogami Gold for the past couple of years.

7. zzzezums

I agree with your point wgs - I've replaced all 3 speakers with Fane Alnico 10, Weber 10A150 and Weber 10F150T (great combination btw), added NOS tubes and rebias after every power tube change. Thanks for suggesting mogami.

8. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

To be honest that sounds like a Vibro King to me. I owned one for almost 10 years and they are bright buggers. You maybe able to tame it with speakers or tubes.

9. zzzezums

great minds think alike...