Vibrolux Reverb with a 15” speaker ?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by KingsHighway79, Apr 12, 2019.

1. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

hi

I wonder if this is possible, and if someone has done it.

2. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

You mean like a Vibroverb?

Vic Interceptor likes this.
  3. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

4. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

Yeah kinda. But I am not sure if my cabinet with a new baffle would work because of the size. I have only read about some people who have swapped tens with a single 12, I am thinking of a 15 to get some bigger spread and maybe a bigger tone

5. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

not sure, but if you successfully do it, let me know, i'm interested!

KingsHighway79 likes this.
  6. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

I saw one picture of a 1x15 vibrolux reverb on pinterest and even a Allen amp 1x15 cabinet for a vibrolux reverb chassie. That could be interesting

7. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

A stock Vibrolux has only a 4Ω output (two 8Ω speaker in parallel). You might have a hard time finding a 4Ω 15" speaker... The Vibroverb has a different output transformer with an 8Ω output, for the single 8Ω speaker.

I wouldn't want to buy a new output transformer for a hunch. I'd also recommend trying some amps with 15" speakers first, because it may not sound the way you imagine.

Rossi163 and dirk_benedict like this.
  8. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

Yeah, maybe it’s to much money to spend. But I am told that 8ohm is safe to run with a vibrolux

9. Tron Pesto

Tron Pesto Member

I'm zeroing in on the "hunchiness" (to steal HBP's point) - ignoring the difficulty of finding a 4 ohm 15" speaker/enclosure for a second, you might want to first try to get your hands on a 1x15 external enclosure to test out your theory.

Yes, you can get away with running the amp into an 8ohm speaker, but you will lose headroom and power. It's not great on your output tubes, but it's doable. The thing is that you will not really know if the resultant tone is a product of the impedance mis-match or the change in speaker set up. Maybe you should try to find two 1x15 cabs at 8 ohms each and run them in parallel!!!! (Getting into fruity nutcakes territory there.)

Vic Interceptor likes this.
  10. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

I believe that Weber will make practically any of their speakers with a 4 ohm voice coil. Also, Eminence has a great selection of 15"speakers. Most, if not all, are available in a 4 ohm version. Even 2 ohm if you feel like stuffing one in a Super Reverb or 5F6 Bassman.

Personally, I love 15" speakers, at least some of them. My favorite speaker for years has been the Altec 418B, which can be had used for $100 - $150 in good condition. Take a chance on a recone if you want, but good used ones with the original cone are not hard to find. My current build (which is taking too long) is 4x6V6 in what is essentially a tall Deluxe Reverb cab. I already have a 418B for it.

So yeah, if you can fit a 15" on a baffle for a Vibrolux Reverb then I say go for it. You might need to mount the speaker off center to clear the OT and tubes. If SRV liked it, why shouldn't you?

I'm not sure what it is about 15" speakers that many people don't like. I hear language like "try it, but it might not be what you expect..." It sounds as though these opinions are born from actual experience, as opposed to a lot of Internet opinions. One complaint that I've heard is that 15" speakers are too directional (a.k.a. 'beamy'.) It's true that a single 15" is more directional than a single 10", OTOH, arrays of speakers are more directional than a single speaker of the same size. I'd be interested in measured data of a typical Marshal style 4x12 or a Super Reverb 4x10, or even a 2x10" Vibrolux. I'm not saying they're more directional than a single 15", but I'm sure they're more beamy than a single 10" or 12". If anyone knows of measured data, I'd like to know about it.

HotBluePlates likes this.
  11. dcbc

dcbc Member

Grab a cabinet from Mather and a 4 ohm 15" speaker from Weber. About $350 in parts and you have two amps.

Muttlyboy likes this.
  12. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor.
    Use the search engine.
    Type in the searchword 'speaker'.
    Then type in hogy in the 'posted by member'.
    Then read all of his posts about 15" speakers.
    I went down that 15" trail years ago.
    Made several varieties.
    Never used one since I rehabbed myself off of them.
    Just like hogy, I have a few (very nice ones too) sitting in boxes collecting dust.
    His motto (and mine now) 'Just Say No' to 15's.

Baxtercat likes this.
  13. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

I tried that. The search came back with a handful of posts by Hogy, but none that had anything to do with 15" speakers. So I tried a Google site search (without the quotes:"site:thegearpage.net hogy 15 speakers".) The first result is a thread where 6 people were in favor of 15" speakers and 2 were against.

So what have we learned?

14. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Uhh...'we' can't use a search engine properly and thusly we will drive our car straight off the cliff? <jk>
    I did that exact search and found multiples of replies, which is why I posted it.
    Is Every Single Hit 'the answer'?
    No. You need to sort through things. Maybe too much to ask...
    Do what makes you feel good brother, its all learning and experience under the hood tuning, tweaking, and analyzing.
    Maybe fate has destined you to go down that dusty road...:aok

Baxtercat likes this.
  15. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

A 15” speaker will not fit into an original Vibrolux Reverb cab. I also do not think that a s8ngle 15” will yield a vastly different ‘spread’. As for tonality, that all depends on what speakers you are moving from and what speakers you are moving toward. The individual speaker’s design determ8nes the tonal aspect of that speaker...regardless of diameter. I have heard larger speakers that were bright and harsh, and I have heard smaller speakers with a lot of low end.
    The Vibrolux Reverb is an amp unto itself, ime. It runs lower voltages than the other 6L6 BF/SF Fenders....lower than the Deluxe Reverbs, even. Special amp, imho.
    Has your amp been recapped and serviced properly? If not, then that needs to be done before assessing the amp’s sonics, ime. What speakers are in it at this time?

zenas and Vic Interceptor like this.
  16. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

Maybe that's what you learned, but what I've learned is that it's just a matter of opinion. Some people, including you and Hogy, don't like 15" speakers. Thanks for sharing. Some people don't like mushrooms on pizza. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop ordering pizza with mushrooms, no matter how many times I'm told that they're yucky.

The fact that everyone has an opinion isn't a surprise. It's the fact that some people genuinely believe that their opinion is more valuable than everyone else's that makes me shake my head.

17. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

I got WGS et10 with a WGS retro 10, it sounds good but I was curious if a 15 would fit. I will post some clips as soon as my strat neck arrives

18. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Not apples to apples, but the Peavey Delta Blues with a 15" sounds way better (to me) vs it's Classic 30 brother with the 12". The bigger cab of the DB makes a difference in the low end, but that 15" has a cooler midrange to my ears.

19. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

victoria regal with altec 418b. unique and very cool amp sounds great with one 6k6 for about 3 watts. takes my drive pedals really well!

20. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

before this thread goes too far let's verify a few things... #1, are you talking about a blackface or silverface VR or a modern Custom VR? #2 are you aware of the SRV amp of choice, the Vibroverb? Which is more or less a Vibrolux Reverb with a single 15" speaker (IIRC the VV is closer to a Pro Reverb? someone verify)

a 15" speaker will not fit in the stock cab of a VR, it's just not tall enough. Unless you already own a real VR, and you love the 15" speaker idea, I'd get Vintage Sound to build a single channel VR in a single 15" cab, sorta like a Princeton on steroids.

As a BFVR owner and lover of 15" speakers, I did plug mine into a JBL D130F and was not impressed.