Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 335guy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 335guy

335guy Member

I have a VR that has started to sound quite terrible. It has lost power, tone, has no bass and is quite distorted. I replaced the power tubes, thinking that might solve the problem, but it didn't. All the pre amp tubes seem fine, but I haven't tried replacing them yet. What could cause this? The caps were replaced a few years back as well. Would a rectifier tube going bad cause this? If I cannot figure it out, to the tech it goes. Thanks.

2. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Do you have any spare preamp tubes? I'd try swapping some in. I'd try the PI tube first (V6 - the last tube before the power tubes - it should be a 12AT7).

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Do both channels sound the same way? Have you checked the bias on the power tubes?

4. crunchman

crunchman Member

5. Zerksies

Zerksies Member

I would check the bias on the power tubes. then i would think of checking the phase inverter. If you still have a problem i would start changing preamp tubes with know good ones