Vibrolux vs. VibroKing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radiohead625, Jan 31, 2012.

1. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Is a Vibrolux basically a lower powered VibroKing? I've been looking for a half powered VibroKing because I hate attenuators. Is there anything like that?:huh

2. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

A Vibrolux is a slightly smaller Super Reverb w/2 x 10's

3. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

Are you asking about a vintage Vibrolux (VR), or the current Custom Vibrolux (CVR)?

Personally, I think the new CVR sounds similar to the VK. A vintage VR does not - it's a more "polite" sound....

I like them both, but they're different flavors.

4. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

The Vibroking has its reverb circuit in the front end. The vibrolux (custom) has its reverb circuit much later in the signal chain. Two completely different amplifiers for this, and other reasons.

Bruce Zinky designed the Vibroking. He now makes his own amps (Supro)...look him up, maybe he can make a lower powered vibroking along the lines of his Supro "Tremolectric" amplifier.

5. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

The original Vibrolux was a Leo era design, based on the same basic circuit as all the other amps of that era. The Vibro-King is a early 90's Custom Shop design, with a bit of the older than Vibrolux "brownface" era in it along with modern thinking. The VK only has 2 siblings - the Tone Master and Dual Professional.

In other words - the 2 amps you mention have nothing in common besides the tubes and brand name.

Have you ever played a Vibro-King? It's not THAT loud. I'd recommend a Gomez amp, they build a Princeton clone with the 3 knob reverb in front. That's 15 watts, 15" speaker and 3 knob 'verb. Very cool.

6. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Hmm... I'll have to check gomez amps out. Ya I would be talking about the newer vibrolux not the vintage one. I have tried the vibroking and it seems like the perfect amp except for the fact that it is too loud to get the sound i'm looking for. I was thinking maybe a super reverb, but those apparently aren't close either. Seems like Fender or anyone for that matter would have a winner if they just made a 30 watt Vibroking.

7. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

And if they made it affordable. :bonk

8. sideman

sideman Member

Those two amps are very different. The Vibrolux is a 38w 2x10, while the Vibroking is a 60w 3x10. The latter is alot more powerful and big sounding. It also has interactive controls. Have you considered a DR?

9. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Your the first one to recommend the Deluxe Reverb as a lower watt alternative. I've really only fooled with a Deluxe reverb a few times and I was never able to crank it. You think it's some what similar?

10. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

A Super Reverb is LOUD! This would not be the solution if you're truely looking for a lower wattage amp.

11. damian1

damian1 Member

Pretty sure zinky designed the newer "custom" vibrolux reverb as well as the vibroking. Thats why people associate the two.

12. billyjett

billyjett Member

Yeah, If they had a 30 watt version, that would be the ticket! I owned a VK for 10 years, wonderful amp, but I was never really able to use it to it's full potential because of the volume issue. I played some outdoor gigs where I was able to crank it, but for the most part it was just too damm loud for most clubs. I finally sold it and bought a 20 watt blackface clone that I can dime at gigs and get the sweetest tone you ever heard, and it only weighs 32 lbs!

13. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Billy, do you mind me asking what clone it is and how it stacks up with the VK? I was thinking maybe a divided by 13 amp, but those get up there in price, plus I don't know the first thing about their models... those numbers and model names confuse the hell out of me :?

14. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

Both the Vibroking and Custom Vibrolux are Zinky designed amps and while sharing black face cosmetics with white knobs neither amp is a traditional Black Face Amp. These amps have more of a crunchy earlier breakup more brownface sound imo and the Custom Vibrolux is much closer tonally to the Vibroking than a DRRI which essentially is a classic black face Fender design.

15. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

I'll have to get my ass out there and find some brown face amps then... I can't ever find them in stores to try though. I tried a VK only once and haven't found one since, but what a great time we had lol

16. sideman

sideman Member

radio - my experience with a vk was that it tended towards a thick, middy sound. a dr to my ear can sound scooped - lacking in mids. so it may not be a good step down. how about a Z Maz Jr? those are 2 6v6 amps with a nice thick sound at modest volumes.

17. Jawsjr2

Jawsjr2 Supporting Member

Maz Jr is an el84 amp not 6v6.

18. phoghat

phoghat Member

Look at Valvetrain 427 or 535. I have a Vibro King that I love, but my Valvetrain gets way more gig action because the VK is just so freakin' loud.

19. Ogre

Ogre Member

When I was a VibroKing owner, I found the clean headroom to be very little. I played a half-dozen other examples, and this was consistently the case. Loved the reverb.