Vibrolux w 15"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lammy, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Lammy

Lammy Member

Has anyone put a vibrolux reverb chassis in a cabinet with a 15" speaker? or a 12" speaker? Trying to find a middle ground with my steel [playing and my guitar, without buying a new amp.
    Was considering a bandmaster reverb and converting it into a vibroclone combo. What are the differences between a VR and a bandmaster reverb?

2. Lammy

Lammy Member

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Lammy:

I always wanted a VR, but would have much preferred it as a 1x15. Someday, I hope to build one, David Allen's encore in a 1x15 cabinet. It isn't just for steel, though my laps sound godamighty swampy through 15s. His encore strikes me as a high quality, modern take on the VR circuit, with some extra goodies (2 knob reverb, better trem.)

I don't know exactly how bandmasters differ ... hard to compare, as the few bandmasters I've heard are going into tired or otherwise sub-optimal speaker setups.

4. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Is this for pedal steel or lap steel?

If you're looking for an amp that can do justice to the low end of a pedal steel, a VR isn't an ideal amp unless you're looking for some clipping. A VR has a pretty small output transformer, only so much bass & headroom that'll come from that.

If you want a rounder tone than your 10's give, and want some grind, yes you can drive bigger speakers with a VR. I've driven two 8-ohm 12's with my VR for a different feel but now I'm back to two 10's. I've never tried a 15, and a 4-ohm version might be hard to find.

In comparison to the other Fender amps you've listed, Twins have way more headroom and can be had fairly cheaply, that's where I'd start.

5. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, Fender did in 1964 and called it a Vibroverb.

6. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I think a Vibroverb is actually quite a bit different than a Vibrolux reverb in a cab with a single 15" speaker. The vibroverb has a much bigger power supply transformer, much larger output transformer and the plate voltages internal to the amp are much higher. All the AB763 circuits are very similar(Deluxe reverb, Super reverb, prop reverb, vibroverb), but little things like transformers and plate voltages affect the tone and head room quite a bit.

IMHO of course!

P.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I met a guy once who put a 12" baffle in a Vibrolux and the thing sounded fantastic. I liked it much better than 2x10's.

It was a vintage amp and he did it only because someone before him had drilled a hole in the back of the chassis. He figured the vintage value was gone anyway and also used the hole for a mid control.

I would love to have had that amp.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  8. Lammy

Lammy Member

I thought the vibroverb chassis was closer to a bandmaster or pro reverb?Wouldnt mind parting my VR out since i have a PR and a 64 deluxe to use just for guitar, trying to find a happy medium for pedal /lap and guitar since i am almost always going to be miced up. I also live in NYC and do NOT have a car. thats quite a challenge. hehe. Looked into a showman etc... just do not want to carry it around.

9. Lammy

Lammy Member

My VR currently has a pair of D110s, i guess i would either find a d140f or use a weber neomag or california?

10. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have a single 12" speaker in my Vibrolux. I carefully stored away the original 10" speakers and baffle board. I then made a new single 12" baffle board just like the original and covered it in aged fender grill cloth. I like it better than the 2x10".

[​IMG]

11. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I'd think you'd want to use a D130F, not a D140. Unless you really need that low end, but I think you'll probably get plenty of that anyway with just about any 15".