1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Vibroverb vs. Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Hylophone, Feb 2, 2012.

As a touring amp, which performs better?

Poll closed Dec 31, 1969.
  1. Pre Cbs Fender Super Reverb

75.0%
  2. Fender 64' Vibroverb Custom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fender Super has better cleans

25.0%
  4. Fender Vibroverb has better cleans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fender Super has better break-up & distortion

25.0%
  6. Fender Vibroverb has better break-up & distortion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fender Super has more volume to head-room

25.0%
  8. Fender Vibroverb has more volume to head-room

25.0%
  9. Fender Super is more resilient

25.0%
  10. Fender Vibroverb is more resilient

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

Besides the speaker configuration, gain modifications, and the middle control on the Super, what exactly is the difference in design... in layman's terms?
    I've had my eye on a Vibroverb Custom but yesterday a guy in town put up an original 64' Super with period correct Concert transformers and a JBL-D-130 in it. He wants $1700 for it. Do the modifications decrease its value; is $1700 being greedy? ...The middle knob on the Super seems like an understated selling point... thoughts?

~As per the poll; I'm talking about an all original 64' Super as opposed to the modified one above. If you can, exclude the collectible nature of these amps and focus on performance.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Most of your questions are pretty subjective. You're comparing a 80-100 watt amp to a 40-50 watt amp. If you like big cleans, go VVerb. If you want earlier breakup, go Super.

3. wyatt

wyatt Member

Actually they are both 40-50 watt.

The VVerb in question is the Custom shop model that, according to Fender's literature, has all of Cesar Diaz's SRV mods for more gain.

I really can't answer the OP's question though, I really don't know how true Fender stayed to the VV circuit and I don't know what else was done to the Super, so it's moot to compare them. If you were comparing a real '64 Super Rev and a real 64 Vibroverb, then they are...for better or worse...98% the same amp. But, yes, the mods do reduce the value of Super Reverb, I haven;'t a clue what a clean one goes for these days, but $1700 seems way high for one with replaced iron, and a 15" speaker where there should be 4x10".

4. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Oops! My bad!
    I'm still confused, is it a Super, or a Super Reverb?

5. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

If you're going to tour, the fewer parts to fail the better.. so by that logic, the VV over the SR. Hadden Sayers is a heavy international tourer, and he uses he VV.

If you're a "name" act - take nothing. Have the venue provide you a rented SRRI and be done with it.

6. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

Great thanks for the information.

Sorry for the confusion, I abbreviated Super Reverb.

7. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

This is great, thanks.

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

Gotta say, $1700 is way high for a modded (hacked) super reverb. The main diff. between it and the VV is the OT/speaker config. I have both - orig. BFs. I like the VV the best, but that is splitting hairs.

I've seen orig. BFSRs on CL going for $1500-1700. They aren't nearly as rare as a BFVV. That said, the SR is a fantastic amp. The SR has way more clean headroom so you need to consider the venue if you want power tube distortion. Don't buy into the BS about a mid control - it doesn't change the character of the amp that much to make it more valuable.

9. Hylophone

Hylophone Member

I hear ya. I was thinking about approaching this guy about the Super Reverb but I can't see spending more than $1300 on it. It is in pretty good shape from what he says, but the irons have been swapped and the original speakers are history in favor of a jbl-d-130. I'd be using it as a clean amp. I'd buy a twin, or a twin custom 15" but its better for me to have an amp I can carry, hence the Vibroverb or the Super Reverb.
    However, I do get the feeling that the seller is sort of mickey mouse and probably messed with more than he says he did. So, I'll probably pass.

10. ballynally

ballynally Member

Want to carry? Then Vibroverb. More oomph? Super. also has 4 speakers. Backbreaker, like a Twin. Alternative: Amp head AA763 circuit with super/bassman tranny, then choose your speaker config. If you want killer clean, then Dual Showman head (4 6L6), basically a Twin head. Add 1 15" or 2 12" speakers, according to your preference, still managable