Vic Chesnutt

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BobbyFudge, Dec 26, 2009.

1. BobbyFudge

BobbyFudge Supporting Member

2. mjm59

mjm59 Member

I am sorry to say that I never heard of Vic Chesnutt until his interview on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross 12/1/09, and now he's gone.:cry: For those of you that never heard of the man, or got the chance to hear the interview, here is the link.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120978388

Here, also, is an interview with Vic's good friend, Michael Stipe, which aired today on NPR.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121933081

For more information:
    http://www.vicchesnutt.com/

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

This is a great loss. Vic was one of a kind.

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I saw him at the 400 in MPLS several years ago.

He was stoned as the bejeebus belt but still put on a good show.

RIP.

5. aftguitar94

aftguitar94 Member

The only time I got to see Vic was at an REM tribute show at Carnegie Hall but I'm a fan of his music and was extremely saddened by the news. I heard yesterday morning he was in a coma and last night I found out it was confirmed that he died. So sad. RIP Vic.

6. moonrock

moonrock Member

"Yeah, well, I think the dot dot dot goes between the Medulla and the Oblongata."

7. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I shared a couple shows out in Athens GA with Vic years ago, and I play in a band called Run On Sentence that recently opened for him here in Portland OR on his tour with Elf Power as his backing band. He just came through town again last month, but I had a show of my own that night and couldn't go, and am now so sorry I missed him one last time.

I did get the chance to chat with him on those occasions, and the last time I was able to tell him that "North Star Deserter" was one of my all time favorite albums. The way his eyes sincerely lit up when I told him that was priceless, as if someone had told him they appreciated his work for the first time. I don't think he ever took that kind of thing for granted (no matter how often he heard it), and seemed humble and grateful.

Vic Chesnutt wasn't a household name, but those who loved his music spread the word often, and his fans were as loyal as they come.

I will truly miss the man I barely knew, and will always treasure his music. I hope he's in a place where he can stand tall and run with the best of them.

Peace - jv

8. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member