Vicky 35115 vs. 35310

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by M I K E D., May 24, 2008.

1. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

What are the differences in sound/feel? How do they take pedals? Do they need pedals?

Are they useable at small to medium venues?

2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Next to my Louis Electric amps the the Victoria 35115T Tweed Pro is my favorite amp. Mine had a Weber P15N (15A150) which IMHO was the perfect speaker for that amp. Very balanced across the frequency spectrum with a nice smooth harmonic top end and mids, and plenty of tight bottom end. Also takes pedals very nicely. I tried a Weber "Cali" with paper cap but it had a little too much top end sizzle for my ears. The P15N has a "rounder" and smoother top end.
    To be fair though I've never tried a tweed Bandmaster so I can't offer a comparison, although I've read nothing but great comments about them. I can say though the tweed Pro has to be one of the most underrated amps out there. Beautiful tones available to anyone who owns one. Almost forgot to mention I went with the Weber P15N (15A150) due to Little Charlie Baty's highly positive review of it on the old Weber website. Really glad I did.

Tom

3. M I K E D.

thanks- this is the type of info i'm looking for

4. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

my 35210 is outstanding with a good fuzz and Zendrive,these amps are very good.

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

They are both amazing amps. Which is better depends on what size speaker you generally prefer, same with basic amp tone preference. I've played the 35115, now own a very much tweed pro like Sewell (Wampus Cat), also own Michael Clark's version of the bandmaster, the Tyger.

The 3X10 format is a "faster", punchier sound. With the right alnico speakers (in my book, very hard to beat Weber 10A125 30 watts), the amp sings. Hard to describe what that means, but when you play it, you'll know. A perfect stage amp, sits just right in the mix. The 1x15 is a slower, swampier sound. Somehow much wider. My personal preference lately has gone strongly to the 1x15. 15" speakers just work better for me. If you could hear them side by side, you'd realize there is no "better" one tonally. The Tyger sings, the Pro growls and howls. Both really fine amps.

6. M I K E D.

deeval: thanks for the info

mad dog- that's just what i was hoping someone would chime in w/ -thank you!

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I've owned 2 Victoria 35310's...before they came out with the 15 model...Ist one had Mojo 10's which Josh Smith ended up buying from me...I liked that speaker better than the later one with Jensen reissue 10's...both were a bit edgy sounding with overdrive...I'd go with the 15

8. Sir EL84

Sir EL84 Member

Do you think the 15" is better suited for Teles and Strats? I have an ES-335 and worry about too much mud with such a large speaker. Any insight on the Bandmaster/Pro and humbuckers in general would be appreciated.

9. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but I'm assuming that the 35115 breaks up at a fairly high volume level in comparison to say a 20112???...........thanks!

10. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

A 335 and the 35310 (Tweed Bandmaster) is a BEAUTIFUL combination if you want to play anything from blues to swing to country rock to rock, jazz, fusion, etc. Its the best sounding amplifier I've ever owned, and in terms of tone its #3 of all time for me, for amps I've played through.

#1 was a 1958 AC30/4
    #2 was a 1960 Fender Bassman
    #3 is my Vicky Bandmaster

Mine is dead stock (Jensen P10R's), except for new power tubes (TAD's) and its a wonderful amp. IMHO, it seems to be best at doing BB King's early stuff through the Regal album, and also Hollywood Fats with a 335. Once the Jensens break in, they sound great, and they are perfect for live work, unlike the Webers which sometimes got lost in the mix. This amp breaks up at just the right levels, and sounds fabulous with a tube reverb tank.

My #2 guitar is a Tele, it sounds great with that too, very earthy, and has enough bass response for some country twang too.

I've never played through the 35115, but I'd love to some day.

I also own a Vicky Double Deluxe and 5E3 kit amp. The Double Deluxe gets most of my "club" work, and the 5E3 comes out for the restaurant gigs and low volume work. The 35310 comes out for bigger clubs and outdoor events or if I want a bit more clean headroom.

11. mad dog

It's hard to generalize about speakers that way. The Vicky 35115 I played has a beautiful sound, but too much compression and crunch for me with the vintage Jensen alnico 15. Same amp, with a more efficient speaker, you would get more volume, more headroom, more everything. It's that pairing of higher efficiency 15" speaker with tweed circuits and tone stacks that works best for me.

By contrast, the bandmaster type has more headroom with alnico speakers, because the speakers share the load. If you use relatively loud and efficient alnicos (such as my favorites, the weber 10A125 30 watters), you'll get more headroom than you might expect from tweeds (if you're used to deluxes, for example.) I've tried mixing higher efficiency speakers in the Tyger ... it doesn't work for me. Tweed BMs have this perfect confluence of power, headroom and volume.

335s and teles seem almost universally cooperative with amps. My 335 sounds perfect through the Clark Tyger. Great clarity and warmth, a singing overdrive higher up. Not that crunchy. The strat is much the same, but thinner -- only noticeable at low and medium volumes. On that amp, clean boosts are optional for the 335, for me, mandatory with the strat. Same guitars, into tweed pro types, you get throatier, more mid-rich tones. Headroom depends on the speaker.

Which is better suited completely depends on your taste. There's some kind of fat, juicy quality in tweed pro amps that I have come to prefer. Then I'll hear the strat through the Tyger and realize there goes another perfect tone. Different. Just as good.

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

"[...unlike the Webers which sometimes got lost in the mix...]"

Jason, Jason, Jason, what am I gonna' do with you?!! :rolleyes:;) Now you know Weber makes 3 gazillion and one models of speakers. Just exactly which model are you referring to? I buy ya' books and send ya' to school... Oh well, different strokes... Now, Grasshopper, go and contemplate. Nice collection of amps, by the way. Musta' taught ya' sumpin'. LOL!! :BEER:RoCkIn

"Uncle" Tom

13. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I have a Vicky 35210 (super) and a Regal with a 15" speaker. Never played a 35310 or 35115. However, those amps are the same circuit as the 35210, just with different speakers. I think the 35115 would be a killer amp, my Regal with the 15" speaker sounds fantastic, and the 35210 is amazing. Mine came with Jensens, and they can get a bit strident and ragged when you crank it up. At low to mid volume they are just beautiful though. I'd like to hear from mad dog re: the Weber 10A125--do they break up differently than the Jensens? I'm looking for a warmer breakup but without giving up that low volume sweetness--will the Webers do that? I'm sure the 35310 would be great too, it's just a great circuit, you really can't go wrong with it. Single, humbuckers, P-90s all just sound great with it.

14. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I'm not mad dog but, yes, I found that the 10A125s had a warmer, smoother, and more harmonic, breakup vs the Jensen RI speakers which in my Vicky Bassman sounded kind of harsh to my ears. Maybe I didn't give them enough break in time before replacing them? But the difference after replacing them with 2 Weber 10A125s and 2 Weber C10Vs was dramatic even before breaking in the Webers. Just fabulous tone, especially with my Strats. The 10A125s I placed in the Vicky Bassman were the 25 watt ones as the 30 watt versions were not yet available. I remember reading somewhere that the 25 watt 10A125s sounded better in tweeds and the 30 watt versions went better with blackface amps, but I'm not sure that's accurate. The 30 watters seem to be a little more popular. Just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to investigate it yourself.

Tom

15. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Mission Super that I just put WarehouseSpeaker's 10s into.

Very nice, and the price was right.

16. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Hey Uncle Tom!:)

Well I was speaking about the 12A125's that I had in my Double Deluxe, and they always got lost in the mix. So I reverted back to a Jensen P12Q and a Jensen C12N. At low volume and for recording the Webers were WONDERFUL!!! But for "playin on the bandstand" they just didn't work, and since I primarily am playing out these days, I chose to go the Jensen reissue route. The Bandmaster I've never changed because it sounds like pure magic. Just a wonderful amplifier, I couldn't be happier about it, you really need to try it out sometime this summer, if we could get together. I'd love to hear your Louis Electric amp too.

I'm thinking of getting a Deluxe Reverb reissue one of these days for a taste of the BF tone, or maybe saving my pennies for an Allen. Its tough to decide, because a used Fender is much more in my price range, and Scott Eggleston and Matt Woods are both getting great tones from theirs. The new ones that Fender are putting out seem to sound really great.

17. mad dog

SharK:

The 10A125s are the best modern alnico 10" speakers IMHO ... tonally rather close to the best vintage P10R and P10Q I've heard. Only louder than the oldies. Great clarity, warmth and definition. Notes just jump out of these speakers. I don't think the newer Jensens come close, but YMMV. FWIW: Fellow TGP tonehound BobbyRay originally owned my Tyger, which came stock with the Jensen RIs. BobbyRay upgraded, and was most pleased with the results. As am I.

18. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Hey Jason,

Had to razz ya' a little. Yeah, I'm not too familiar with the Weber 12A125 (P12Q) but it really surprises me to hear of a Weber speaker that won't cut through. I can tell you the 10" version (10A125) cuts like a knife, but speaker characteristics often do not translate across speaker size. It's also very possible that particular speaker doesn't cut through with that particular amp, but would with another brand or model.
    Anyway, I'm confident you have no problem finding great tones with the gear you own. And, yes, we'll have to get together. Keep me informed of your gigs in the Des Moines area. If nothing else we'll do lunch.

Tom

19. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

more questions for mad dog and jumpn on the Webers--would you say the 10A125 is less bright than the Jensen? I'm just looking for something less brittle and strident in the top end.

What's weird is that I also have a Vicky 518 with the 8" Jensen and a Vicky Deluxe with the 12" Jensen, and I really like the tone of those speakers when I crank the volume all the way. The 10" Jensen just does not sound the same when cranked, there's just way too much presence and top end for some reason.

20. mad dog

Shark:

Bright is pretty hard to quantify. I think it's more a case of smooth overdrive and overall warmth than brightness per se. Too bright to me is usually a case of sharp, thin tones. And/or a harsh edge at higher volumes. The 10A125 -- at least with three of them together -- is not thin. It's a balanced sound. Can get sharp high up, depending on settings, but the basic sound is not at all harsh. I find nothing annoying in the top end presence even cranked.

Perhaps you should experiment with the webers, and try some good ceramics too. The Emi copperhead and Legend 105 for example. The CH in particular impresses me, but I do prefer the weber alnicos in the Tyger.