Victoria 12" champ meltdown

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by es3456, Feb 13, 2008.

1. es3456

es3456 Member

My Champ had a melt down last night. I had been playing maybe a half an hour at less than half power with a exotic ac boost on and then all of a sudden there was no sound. The power light was still on for a moment and then that went out. I checked the fuse and it was blown. There was also a bad burning odor. I tried putting in another fuse and it blue that fuse without the power light even coming on. Any clues as to what may be the problem ? Thanks

2. mageerc

mageerc Member

It could be a number of things, but let's try to isolate the problem. Take all the tubes out and turn the amp on... does the fuse hold? If not you have either a PT problem or a filter cap problem. If the fuse held, try putting in just the rectifier tube... if the fuse doesn't hold, you have a bad rectifier tube. If the fuse held in the last step, put in the power tube (6V6) and turn on the amp. If the fuse does not hold you have a bad 6V6... Remember that 90% of tube amp problems are tube related. From what you describe, I'm leaning towards the rectifier tube being bad, but there's no way to say that with certainty.

3. Trout

Trout Member

Actually,

Pull out all the tubes and the fuse does not blow, Power transformer is most likely ok, With no tubes in place, the caps are not connected.

Put in Rectifier tube Fuse Blows, it could be the Rectifier tube and or Caps.

I would pull the chassis out of the amp and visually inspect it for burned resistors, Since you did smell smoke, it is possible you could spot a fried part. Of course If the power transformer was the source of smoke, its likely that its done.

Victoria has a heck of a warranty, If your the original owner, it might be better to contact them before tampering with it.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Try the above recommendations. I suspect a shorted power tube and burnt cathode resistor.

5. es3456

es3456 Member

Thanks for all the insight guy's , Well I took the tubes out put in a new fuse plugged in the amp and the fuse blue, I think even before I turned it on. There was a spark at the plug as I plugged it into the wall. Does that mean PT ?
    I talked to Mark at Victoria before I did this and he seems pretty cool. He said to send the chassis to them if it isnt the tubes and they would get to it in a week. Thanks for all the help.

6. Saluki84

Saluki84 Member

es3456,

I have a 5112 that did the exact same thing, called Victoria and since I live within 30 mins. they said I could bring it in...turned out it was a bad PT which a tech replaced and while I waited Mark played his tele thru a Regal II showing me some Keith riffs.

In addition Mark asked if I liked the speaker that was in the amp, which I always thought was a little dark, so he replaced that with a different model, all in all their customer service was fantastic and my 5112 is better than ever.

Good luck with your 5112!

7. es3456

es3456 Member

Thanks Saluki84,
    My 5112 is being shipped right now. The people I have talked with at Victoria have been great. I cant wait to get it back.
    May I ask what speaker did you have in your 5112 (mine has a p12Q) and what did Mark replace it with.