Victoria 20112 or Clark Beaufort ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KCblues, Oct 1, 2014.

1. KCblues

KCblues Member

I want to try a 5E3. I live in the midwest and it's rare to come across a real '50's Tweed Deluxe to try in person before buying, and I'm reluctant to go the eBay route.

Given the choice of a Victoria 20112 or Clark Beaufort, which would you choose and why?

2. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have played them both, and the Clark was the clear winner.

3. Greentone

Greentone Member

Clark. The Victoria stuff is great, but the lack of an alnico speaker is a misstep with the 20112.

4. KCblues

KCblues Member

What about the Victoria with alnico, say a Celestion Blue?

5. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've been reading for years that they're both great, but different flavors. I've owned (and sold) Vickies, but not a 20112. I've also owned (and sold) a couple of other 5E3s by other makers. I've had a Beaufort with a Weber 12A125A for almost ten years now, and I love it. It's my desert island amp, as they say.

6. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Clark.

I have a Beaufort and Piedmont.

They're time machines

7. ryhlick

ryhlick Member

I have owned both twice and in each case the Clark was a better feeling amp sounding.

8. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I've had Clarks, and own a Victoria 35210 and Ivy League, and had a Clark Penrose and Gullah. Both real nice, the Clarks are much heavier weight wise. There was an extensive thread on this subject a while back, do a search, it will show up. I think the Vickies are more raw and have more top end. Clarks a little thicker sounding and louder. Don't let speakers hold you back, you can change them. Mark at Victoria would probably put any speaker you want in the amp. He is top notch at customer service. Both great amps.

9. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I also love reconed USA Jensens in these amps, for a real authentic feel and sound.

10. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

me again, I think I remember feeling, and hearing it said in the before mentioned thread, that the Clarks were a little more refined sounding. The Vickies having a little more of the ragged Tweed glory going on.

11. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

I have a Vic 20112, plus another Vic (Regal) and a Carr. I can't answer your direct question ( the comparison) but you can just ask for an alnico in a new build ( I did) or easily retrofit it. I've run an Emi Legend in mine and found it not dissimilar in fact, but louder. I've gone back to the alnico for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk