Victoria 35115 Users Chime In!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Unadan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

I spoke with Mark @ Victoria amps earlier today and told him I wanted one of his amps. I went thru the type of music I like (classic stuff, Stones, Neil Young, Chicago Blues, some Grunge era stuff), and the venues I will use it in (small to medium sized). He recommended I go with the 35115 Pro with the 15" speaker.

I'd really love to hear from owners of this particular Victoria model and about their experiences with this amp. Thanks!

2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I bet it would be great. I had a 2x10 version of that amp and always wondered what the 1x15 would have been like.

3. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

I have the 2x10 version and I will never sell it. One of the best amps I ever owned. I would imagine a 1x15 version would be a great amp. Mine handles humbuckers and single coils equally well. And they are just too much fun when you turn em wayway up!

4. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

I tried a vintage Fender tweed Pro (1x15) a couple years ago. It's not a Victoria 35115 but it's got a lot in common with it. It was fantastic paired with a tele with traditional-style pups. I almost bought it. I intend to have that or the 35115 one day. One concern - you may have to alter your chord voicings etc. to compensate for the bass response of the 15" speaker. It's easy to sound muddy with the tweed 1x15 Pro. ymmv.

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I played one about a year ago at one of the local Guitar Centers. I was playing some jazzy stuff and the sales guy (that is very knowledgeable) said it would be a great amp for jazz players. He said that he had actually bought it when it came in, but he wasn't able to get along with the 15". He said he owned a 35310 and wished for a little more bottom end sometimes, but that he just had to stick with it as he'd been building his sound around that amp for so long...

Having said that, without running pedals into it or playing it too loudly, I thought it sounded spec-freakin-tacular at the volume I was playing.

Funny thing is, one of the best-sounding local guys in town plays a 35310 and another buddy had a non-Victoria Bandmaster clone that I always thought sounded great. Never owned one, but that's a whole lotta 5E7 love.

:p

6. Cado

Cado Member

I was in the market for a 35115 a couple of years ago & ended up buying a different 5E5-A clone from another builder who isn't currently making amps. I chose the other builder because the gut shots looked identical and I was able to save a lot of money. That said, these are fantastic amps! I use mine as a pedal platform in lower volume settings & I crank it up & ride my volume knob in louder settings. You can jumper the channels in different ways & swap out the V1 tube for other types to alter the amount of gain. I haven't found this amp to be muddy at all.

7. m1911

m1911 Member

My Kid just got a 35210 a few months ago and it is AWESOME!
    It's total Stones Raunch, but NOT ratty like the Tweed Deluxe sounds.
    It's a lOT tighter and sounds GREAT!

We usually swap out speakers with Tone Tubbies, but with the couple of Victorias we have here sound great with the Jensen Re-Issues.

8. woof*

woof* Member

1x15" combo's rock!
    The best amp I have ever owned was an early 60's brownface 1x15 Vibrasonic with a 15" Jbl. I sent it to an amp tech and he went out business and disappeared. That amp had the greatest tone. :(

9. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I've owned two original Fender Tweed Pros. Still have a '57. I love the 1x15 combo. I think you would be very happy with the 35115. I know I would be.

10. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

I wonder how it compares with the 15's on the Trem de la trem and Regal II....

11. Unadan

Unadan Member

Concerning the 35115, are their any good video demos? I'm pretty much going to buy this sight/sound unseen. I've only found one kind of lame demo on Youtube.

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

U:

PMed you some clips. No videos though.
    MD

13. Unadan

Unadan Member

^Awesome thanks!

14. tweedtwanger

tweedtwanger Member

I've owned one for a bit over 10 years. Definately is my favorite. It does depend on all the different variables (what tone are you looking for, what guitars are you using, what style of picking do you tend towards, all the usual). Mark has always been right on the money whenever I have spoken with him, and he probably covered all that before recommending the 35115.
    Tonewise, for me it is pure heaven. I play mainly blues with an old 335, a Strat w/ Texas Spec. and a new Baja Tele. Really what sold me on this amp was how it sounded on the bridge p/up of the 335. I looked for years for that tone, and the first time I tried the Vicky it was a done deal. Now with the Tele, well, not a lot of other work is getting done around here I'm being told...
    I've had a lot of friends say they love the tweed sound, but when they get it, sometimes it's not for them. It can be brittle (but it does brittle REALLY good!), when turned down or back off the guitar version it gets glassy clean, and the neck p/up on any of the above just sings. I had no clue what a 15" was really about until I got this amp (this one has an original reconed Jensen, not a current one), of course the bass you can get is off the chart, but the real story is the crystal clear highs. Before owning one, I thought no way could a 15 do highs like that.
    Bottom line is over 10 years later I don't want any other amp for that range of tones. I did jump out a little last year and snagged a 5 watt Bimbo 105, not for a replacement, just for those Plexi nights at a lower volume.

15. Unadan

Unadan Member

I spoke with Mark a bit more today about the 35115 and then placed my order. I should have it within 4 to 6 weeks. Can't wait!

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Dan:

You'll love it!
    MD

17. arcey

arcey Supporting Member

2X10 owner here (for many years). You will love it and that love will grow as it breaks in.

18. Unadan

Unadan Member

Thanks for the replies! Another question. I have seen others describe a 1x15 speaker as "slow and booming." Any truth to this and should I be concerned?

19. m1911

m1911 Member

GET THE 2x10 VERSION!

20. Unadan

Unadan Member

Have you played the 35115 in comparison to the 2x10 or 3x10 versions of this amp? I'd like to hear more about why you would go 2x10 vs. 1x15. Thanks!