Victoria 518 or 512

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by es137p, Feb 1, 2008.

1. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

anyone have experience with these two amps? I have, and love the Regal II. Looking for a grab and go for small gigs. Would these be loud enough, or would I need a 20112. My friend has a Clark Beaufort, and on quiet gigs, he has to keep it down around 3-4. They are loud. Also, anyone know if Victoria's trem de le trem, tremolux circuit, is basically a 20112, deluxe, with tremolo?
    thanks, Bill

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Haven't played the 12 - but own the 8 - so I'm a bit biased. Small gigs? You need at least the 20212, IMO - unless you mic up the little guy. (I own a 518, FWIW)

3. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Supporting Member

I have a Regal II, 518, 5112, and 20112 (and 35210!). For small gigs the 518 and 5112 won't cut it. THey are excellent amps for around the house, though, very fun to play through and no pedals needed. The 20112 is what you'd need, and yes, I believe the trem d la trem is basically a 20112 with trem (I think that amp would sound fantastic with a 15" speaker like the original tremolux).

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Is it the PHYSICAL size of the Regal that bothers you for smaller gigs? With the tube switching capabilities you can get the Regal down to 2 watts. I love mine cuz I don't need another amp.
    Of course having said that, the 20112 is a little monster.'

5. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

yes, I love the Regal II, I've played tiny bars to 700 seat halls with it, but it wiegh's 50 lb.'s, which is reasonable, but I was looking for even more grab and go friendly for small stuff. Was wondering if 20112 or trem de la trem would sound too similar to it. Really do like trem though, when I play 3 piece, its nice to keep it on ( set low) to thicken up the sound of 3 piece. Had and loved, and miss the 35210 as well.

6. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

the 5112 is a great amp, loud and great for home or recording. I think its underpowered against any drummer though for small places unless miked. I bet Mark could make you a line out version for slaving into a power amp or another larger amp or a PA.

I have a Skip Simmons retropolitan, a tweed princeton clone and it has a line out and works great for beefing up the volume with a PA or another amp.

7. Profklamen

Profklamen Member

The stock Jensen speaker in the 5112 is rather inefficient - I put a Celestion g12h30 in mine and it is a whole lot louder. Closer in volume to a tweed deluxe than I ever would have imagined (I have a clark to compare it to).

I would go with the 5112 over the 518 because it leaves great options for speaker substitution.

8. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Supporting Member

to my ears the 20112 doesn't sound anything like the Regal, at all. The main difference is that the Regal has a blackface element to the sound. Some people say the Regal sounds like a cross between a tweed and a blackface, but to me it definitely leans in the blackface direction. The Regal has an overall bigger sound; it's more smooth and sophisticated. The way they break up is also different--the 20112 is more raw and crude, and it has almost no headroom. The 20112 is definitely a more primal amp. Max volume on the 20112 is reached about half way up the dial, from there on it just adds grit.

I believe the 518 comes stock with a Weber Eminence speaker, not a Jensen.

9. go7

go7 Member

I`ve had a Vicky 5112 for a few years,great little amp.Talked to Ted Weber years ago about increasing the volume for small gigs.Ted built me a 12 in. ceramic with an amazing 103 sensitivity and still kept the Champ tone,for $90. This makes it not only a great around the house amp but will do small gigs as well. Ted figured it would be twice as loud as the then stock P12Q. He was right.It still has it`s limitations and is no way a big amp but I was very impressed what 5 watts and a very efficient speaker can do.Honestly,my 5E3 deluxe was the way to go. Good Luck!

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

You might check this out carefully. The Trem de la Trem is the same size as the Regal so I don't think you're gonna save any weight with it. IMO, the 20112 doesn't sound anything like the Regal II. The Regal was based on a Valco, not a tweed Fender. I agree on the cross between a blackface and a tweed. I found that with my guitar volume down it was very blackface and when I turn up and push it, the mids seem to come up more than the top and bottom so it gets more tweed like. It's one of the reasons I bought it.