Victoria amp/high gain pedal question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CALI68, Jun 20, 2008.

1. CALI68

CALI68 Member

I just ordered a Victoria 45410 and although I know that this amp is not at all meant for the heavy rock Van Halen type of tone, there are times in our set that I will need it to do at least something close. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    -Chris

2. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

On occasion I run a BadCat Xtreme Tone pedal thru my Victoria Regal II. Turns it into a 3 channel monster. Funny to hear face melting scream out of a classic TV front.

3. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Supporting Member

Listen to the Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion demoes.

I heard the new Yardbirds guitar player doing heavy sounds through a Fender Bassman with what might have been a Keeley modded TS-9

4. Brien

Brien Member

If you can run it through another cabinet with some ceramic, british sounding 12's, you'll be a lot closer with that amp. The Bassman can get pretty rockin', but the alnico 10's really give it a lot of it's vintage vibe.

5. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Thanks for the help! I looked at the Mighty Red Distortion and that's definitely the front runner.

The suggested TS9, that the "hot baked" one right? I'll check that out.

As far as running another cab... I'm trying to avoid that. I'd like to come as close as I can with the amp as is but I appreciate the suggestion.

Keep 'em coming.

-Chris

6. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

Have the same amp and run a blackstone through it and it handles in great sounds fantastic.

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Yeah....try the Blackstone, Mighty Red, OCD perhaps?
    Jetter Black would be a good one to look at.
    Menatone King of the Britians is plexi-in-a-box, but with the Boost on, you can get EVH.

IMO, no TS-type pedal will get the tones.

8. Brien

Brien Member

Yeah, the different cab thing is something I use for recording, not for live use. Here's a couple of other things to try: Jump the channels, it makes the amp break a little earlier, and gives you some nice EQ flexibility with the volume knobs. Try a 12ax7 in V1 instead of the ay7 for more gain (though I really like the ay7 for lower gain applications). The tone knobs can really push the amp as well when cranked up. You'll still need a pedal, but these things will give you some help from the amp.

9. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I'd be very surprised if you don't LOVE that amp. Especially if you play where can crank it a little. Very difficult to find an amp with better tone.

Tom

10. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

:)You can get great rock tones with a good T/S type OD
    I use a Zendrive or a OCD for classic rock,
    Marshall tones in that amp when its kranked with a good OD

11. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Man, now you guys are killin' me!! I can't wait to get this amp! I tried my friend's Victoria and I fell in love with it but that was just plugged straight in. ...sounds like I'm gonna have some fun messin' around with different pedals.

Thanks again!

-Chris

12. CALI68

CALI68 Member

I got the Mighty Red Distortion today. Holly crap!!!! What an awesome pedal. Man, those Guys are turning out some legendary stuff.

-Chris