Victoria Amps Golden Melody - Wow!!

cander328

Played one of these today and what a big beautiful clean sound. Compared it to my trusty '64 BFDR and while the GM is not as bright (DR still has bright cap) it was much more balanced and the mid control allowed the tone to be easily dialed to be similar to the DR but better at higher volumes because the bass remained much much tighter. All in all still very Fenderish cleans and loud!!

I then tried it with a few different ODs and again using a Framptone Amp Switcher this thing does a great job keeping the OD tone together at a wider range of volumes than the DR.

Next up was the Vibrato and all I can say is that this is not a fair comparison given the fact that the GM vibrato is designed very differently and it is hands down the best I have ever heard. I don't use the one on the DR but could easily see leaving the on on the GM on at a slower speed and med intensity to add a nice 3D quality to my tone.

The reverb is stellar on the GM and very comparable to that in the DR.

Anyone playing one of these babies? Just a great amp!!

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
Played one years ago & was absolutely blown away by it! Almost bought one - that Vibrato circuit is by far the coolest I've ever heard in an amp.

Not often am I blown away by a current market amplifier, but this one is a true gem.

windjamma

I can't believe more people are not playing these amps, probably one of the only new amps i would consider buying.

awesome design, bassman front end, blackface reverb, and brownface trem. delicious amplifier sounds.

me wants one

remocity

Silver Supporting Member
Looking at the Victorilux with 6L6's here.
Hoping it's the bigger sounding Deluxe reverb with a Vibrolux type of clean and breakup.
Wondering if the the Golden Melody is too clean?

TD_Madden

KotWF
Platinum Supporting Member
Buffalo Amps BA-55V

Only problem is that Rob doesn't build amps anymore.....

Pity.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I had the pleasure to hang out in Mark Baier's shop many years ago and have him "show off" some of his amps to me. At that point in time (late 1990's) my friend owned a local shop that was one of the first that sold Victorias and I got to play them as they came in. I believe I played the first Double Deluxe. Fifteen or so years later I still have yet to hear a bad one.

MikeSRV69

The Golden Melody is a great amp and I will own one sooner or later. Mark Baier is a friend of mine and I have watched the Victoria line evolve from almost the start and I think the GM is one of the best things he has ever made. I love the loud and clean aspect of it.

cander328

Definitely not designed to breakup like a vibrolux reverb or deluxe reverb - this one needs pedals for OD and takes them better than anything else I have tried to date!

Hoping it's the bigger sounding Deluxe reverb with a Vibrolux type of clean and breakup.

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
This is one of the great amps, I think! Gorgeous cleans and, yes, as noted, takes pedals like a dream.

There's a mint one for sale on Ebay for a pretty good "but it now" price. I was going to buy it but won another auction and now don't have the money.

That vibrato circuit is amazing!

zoooombiex

Depends on guitar & volume (not surprisingly). At moderate settings with a strat, it's very clean. With humbuckers and turned up around 10-11:00 on the volume it gets a nice bassman kind of grind. I'd say it's slightly more headroom than the 45410, but less than a twin.

motokev

I own the Victoria Golden Melody. I fell in love the first time i played it; I bought it that day. The amp is a CLEAN amp, but will breakup around 1 o'clock. But, thats purty dam LOUD. I use pedals with the amp, it works extremely well with them. My fulltone OCD v4 came to life through this amp. I was thinking of putting some Celestion Blues or Golds in it for the giggles, but haven't. The reverb and tremelo are the best i've herd. The amp is perfect for nice cleans or one who likes to use a pedal board. Anyway, I love the amp.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Mark played this for me at a Dallas Show a few years ago and I can say I was most impressed.

The tremelo was heaven.

jayn

Lucinda Williams new guitar player (Blake Mills - I think, can't recall the name for sure) was using one a few weeks back with what looked like a SFDR. Lots of delay (Fulltone TTE). Sounded really good aside from the Strat which got a bit lost in the delay.

Trending Topics