Victoria Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kmaz, May 19, 2008.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I'd like to hear some opinions on this amp. Does it have anything on the Fender reissue model? Thanks for any info....

2. m1911

m1911 Member

First of all the Victoria's are Point-to-Point wired vs. the Fender using a Printed Circuit Board.
    Mark Baier has done an excellent job recreating the Tweed stuff.
    Fender apparently thinks so as well because they quoted him throughout their book called
    "Soul of Tone: Celebrating 60 Years of Fender Amps"
    http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Tone-Celebrating-Years-Fender/dp/0634056131

The only Tweeds I've ever bought from him are the Champ and Deluxe, but have heard most of the models he offers.

Don't know what you need the Bassman exactly for, but it will be clean and loud for quite a while till it gets cranked.

Some people slam the Jensen Speakers in general, but I'd go with whatever HE supplies with each individual Amplifier.....usually some type of Alnico. Keep in mind, too that he offers every Tweed model that was made.....so you can go up or down in power depending what your needs are.
    Anyway....hope that helps.
    Mark

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

Not sure how it compares to the Fender Bassman LTD, but I know the Fender sounds pretty damn good for half the price. That said, the build quality of the Victoria is all handwired, while the Fender is all PCB. I would think the Victoria is a better made amp overall, and would be easier to service.

I have also heard great things about Clark amps. They have a Bassman mode as well.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

They are spectacular amps, I've owned a Vic Bassman, Super and Deluxe. I only sold the Bassman because the band I played in wasn't loud enough to use it, I really miss the amp now because I could wind it up. I remember the first time I took it to a jam I just sat there while playing saying to myself, "This is what the records sound like."

I have until recently owned a Fender LTD Bassman, the Fender's seem a little louder but the highs are not as sweet and it doesn't break up the same way the Victoria did. There was a Bassman on ebay last night for $1195, I should have bought it but I still really dig my Matchless Clubman so I had to pass on it. Someone is going to be really happy getting that amp.

5. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I'm your basic rock'n'roll guy from the 50's on up. Just have really good guitar sounds in mind. Thanks for the input!

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Having A/B'd both the Vicky & the Fender, with the same tube & speaker types, I hear very little difference, certainly not $1K difference. The Vicky has tag board wiring like the originals, the Fender is PCB but all the controls, jacks, and tube sockets are chassis mounted so I'd expect the Fender to be as reliable as the Vicky. Beyond the subjective tone issue, the only other issue might be in repairing the Fender if some circuit fault causes damage to the PCB itself...but I've had a Fender '59 Bassman reissue ever since they came out in the early 90's with zero problems.

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

Vaughn,

I thought the controls were PCB mounted, but that all the jacks, swtiches and tube sockets were chasis mounted? Are you sure about that? Either way, I do think the Bassman LTD sounds great!

B

8. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Here is a recent thread for more info:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=393330&highlight=bassman

Also, my quote from it:

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The controls are mounted to a small dedicated PCB, but all of the controls are chassis mounted and not floating in their chassis holes like in some other amps. And it's the floating in the chassis holes type of controls that can't take the strain if their knobs get bumped. From the reliability standpoint there's nothing inferior in Fender's control layout...but you would have to unbolt all of the controls to replace just one of them.

10. Glaze

Glaze Member

Kmaz

The Victoria 4 x10 Bassman is one of the top three best sounding amps I've ever heard or played through. The Bassman is my favorite tweed. I have not tried any of the new Fender stuff so I can't give you any comparison information.

Mike

11. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

If you're considering any tweed amp at all, consider Clark.

I have 2: The Beaufort (deluxe clone) and A Tyger (bandmaster clone)

Both are superb amplifiers. Very organic. His amps are instruments in and of themselves.

Frank

12. Blueser

Blueser Member

Ahh...Gotcha....Thanks!

13. Kmaz

Kmaz Member