Victoria Regal II???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mackaygtrs, May 23, 2012.

1. mackaygtrs

mackaygtrs Member

Hi folks,
    I looking at new amps, I almost picked up a Gretsch Playboy and then an Executive but now I’m leaning towards the full blow Victoria name plate (Rebal II)…. Here is a list of the guitars I use:
    Gretsch 6118-T-120
    Gretsch 6120-TM
    60’ Historic LP
    60’ Closet classic Relic
    2004 50th anniversary Strat with 54’ CF pus
    2009 SRV Strat
    1989 Fat Strat (HSS)
    1887 Strat Plus (lace sensors)
    Love to play Chet Atkins, to SRV to Brad Paisley style riffs….
    How versatile would the Rebal II be for this combination of music with these guitars??? From what I see is just a case of swapping out the tubes???
    Thanks,

2. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

3. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKzDYe4q8fM
    I recently purchased this type of amp. Worth watching the review as he is a SRV fan. Uses similar tubes and has similar swapping and various output capability as the Regal, I'm guessing they sound similar. I was looking for a used Regal before I purchased it. I would imagine the Regal has better resale value esp used.

4. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

The Regal II will sound great will all of those guitars. I've had mine since 2007 and it just has the sound I'm looking for, you know? Not tweed, not blackface, somewhere in the middle. It is a very big, very deep kind of sound that really has no guitar bias. I have teles, strats, PRS, arch top, all just sound great with the Regal II. I like to run mine with just one 6V6. Not much headroom, but man it sounds great with the big 15" speaker, the overdrive is just amazing. That Regal in the emporium now is a great deal.

5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I have had the Regal 2 for a few years now and it is an incredible amp. It works with a wide range of guitars. I use mine with an Ernie Ball Albert Lee, a Les Paul, Hamer archtop, and even an Ernie Ball Luke with EMG :)eek:) pickups. Teles sound wonderful throught this amp.

The amp is extremely transparent and will allow the tone of each guitar (as well as what you play) to shine through. It allows you to be very expressive.

As far as styles go, I play jazz, blues, country, rock, fusion, pop, etc. through mine and it works great for lots of different types of music. Obviously, it probably isn't the best choice for metal but I can get '80s tones using pedals.

It is versatile from a volume standpoint as well due to the ability to change tubes so quickly and easily. If I want all the overdrive from the amp and can't play too loud, 1 or 2 6V6s and a rectifier change is all that is needed.

For gigs where I want a glassier tone with more bottom and more headroom, 1 or 2 6L6s is the way to go. Search for some other threads on the Regal where users share their experiences with lots of different tubes and combinations.

While I was worried about volume when considering this amp, I really can only think of one instance where I haven't had quite as much clean headroom as I might have preferred. But, that was an isolated incident. The amp has worked very well in lots of different venues with many different instrument lineups.

Obviously, since you can tailor the amp's breakup so easily, it is really good with overdrive pedals. It is a breeze to get the output tubes working so that, if you use an overdrive pedal, the amp and pedal work together for a very natural sound. My favorite with this amp is an AC Booster. With the right tubes for the situation, the pedal literally becomes an extension of the amp.

The tremolo is absolutely perfect (IMO). Usually, it takes quite a bit of tweaking to get a tremolo to fit into the mix or tempo of a song but with the Regal, I can almost set it anywhere and it works. The reverb is the only thing that didn't quite blow me away as much as I had hoped. I heard some online demo videos where the reverb sounded like a plate! In reality, mine doesn't sound quite like that.

The only other thing I wish is that it were a little lighter. My Victoria 35310 tweed is lighter but that is really a minor issue.

As with any amp purchase though, I would highly recommend you try it first to be sure. But, I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this amp. Hope that helps!

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I agree w/ the reviews above. I loved mine, but did have some issues w/ clean headroom on some gigs (solved now as I have a Vicky Golden Melody - but I'd say the GM's better w/ single coils).
    I wasn't crazy about the 15" speaker for some overdrive tones (say a more UK-type pedal OD), but YMMV.

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Terry's review is spot-on, in my experience.

I currently run my Regal in stereo with a Vintage47 Amps Bronson model, for a lower-volume rig. The Regal's character tends toward a darker, rich sound, but the tone controls and tube swaps do make for a very, very versatile amp. The beauty of the amp is its range of versatility, without the Swiss-Army-knife buttons/knobs/circuits some manufacturers tend towards (MB!!).

rwe - I'd love to try a Victoria Golden Melody!!

- Thom

8. mackaygtrs

mackaygtrs Member

what are they going for used??? anyone???

9. mackaygtrs

mackaygtrs Member

or should I say, whats a good used price???

10. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

I have had a regal for 4 years and I like it very much. I use rca power tubes;one 6L6 and one 6V6.This amp sounds great with most of the guitars that I have.{5} I found the best price from Willcutt Music. I bought new.

11. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

I just posted a long comment in a long thread on this topic. In short I love mine. there was a lot of good info in that thread,

12. drewdraw

drewdraw Silver Supporting Member

I've had mine for a few months now and really love it. And it is a really fun education in tube comparison. Right now I'm running KT66's-- fat!
    I recently used it on a fairly big outdoor stage and it worked just fine, having it about 5 feet away from me.
    Wanting to try a 5751 in V1......