Victoria Regal II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FireBottle, Feb 11, 2009.

1. sideman

sideman Member

I bought a Regal II a couple years ago on the recommendation of a buddy who's a killer player and a gear guru. Like him, I have alot of amps. After using almost exclusively 38w 6L6 amps for many years, I was finding that gig volumes were going down at clubs and parties, and that amps were miced more at bigger shows. Most of my amps were too loud when they got to the right tone, and I had to suppress them with pedals, something on the front grill, pointing them backwards, etc. I wanted an amp that would give good compression and overdrive at more modest volumes. Also wanted on-board reverb cause I hate using tanks. And don't like overdrive pedals. The Regal II rapidly became my main amp for a wide variety of jazz, blues, and roots work. A major asset was the tube interchangeabiity, to change volume levels and tone. From low volume "unplugged" gigs with one 6v6, to medium volume club/wedding gigs with two 6v6 (and sometimes a lower gain rectifier), to crowded club gigs with two 6L6s and a 5AR4. It does all of that sounding great. Don't know the room you're playing or whether you're miced? No need to bring multiple amps - just the Regal and some tubes. I like this amp alot! It's all in one package - with a small plastic box in the back containing tube alternatives. Sometimes I'll swap in different tubes during a gig, when I'm otherwise running too loud or too soft. I have no problem with the reverb. Only use trem for a couple tunes, but it's great to have it when you want it. My tweed Bassmans (including a Vic) sound like God when cranked up, but most of my gigs don't need that much volume. The Regal is a little heavy for it's size cause it's built like a tank. It's still alot less than a SR or PR. After a couple years and about 100 gigs, it has been highly reliable. The only (minor) issue was when the handle screws pulled out, but I screwed it back on shiving the screw holes. Have been running mine with a Celestion Gold, with mostly Gibsons. Really nice amp! Oh, and I too have found Mark Baier's advice consistently reliable.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. sideman

sideman Member

3. RJLII

RJLII Member

Wildwood has one for a good price. You could get in for reasonable bucks and not lose your booty if you need to sell it because it didn't answer your prayers.

4. t135

t135 Member

Definitely buy one used if you can and save some money. I got rid of mine because my favorite setup was with EL34's and a weber blue dog alnico 15. And that was just too loud. Didn't sound so good with an attenuator so that didn't work. Had to get the speaker moving for dynamics. Only other thing I disliked was that it was sooooo heavy. After a four hour gig it was like hauling concrete. Jeeez.

I would have kept it around for fun but can't bring myself to keep amps I don't play regularly. If you get one you'll probably love it. It's a great sounding amp. I don't hear brad paisley and Chet Atkins in it though. Or stevie ray Vaughn. I second the reliability comment. I played the crap out of mine for 60-70 gigs a year and had no problems. Built like a tank. I'm a fan of Victoria's.

5. Dashface

Dashface Member

I would love to have one. Sounds like exactly the answer to what I want :D

6. sideman

sideman Member

Bought mine used for $1600 - it was shipped across the country and arrived intact (again, well built). Re weight, while it's heavier than a 5E3, it's got alot more capacity. And after years of lugging around Super Reverbs and Pro Reverbs it doesn't feel heavy to me.

7. mackaygtrs

mackaygtrs Member

I spoke with Mark at Victoria Amps (the owner and builder) and he told me they had a lifetime warranty with the original owner. I just couldn’t see spending the $2350 on an amp I could not hear till after I purchase it. I decided to get a used Gretsch Executive as everyone on the GretschPages absolutely loves these things and looks like they have a great turn around when selling. (They’re made by Victoria Amps)… I also went to the local shop and tried the Fender EC Tremolux and it was incredible so I bought it too…..well, I traded a 50th anniversary Strat as partial trade. Had 2 of them so it worked out really good on my end. So now I have the Gretsch Executive for my Gretsch guitars and Tremolux for my Fenders guitars and Paul….lol……….

8. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

I have had a Regal for several years, and bought Vic Deluxe a year ago. I rate the Regal very very highly indeed. It's so versatile - it's my at home amp at 5 watts (one 6v6) and has a huge sound - by which I mean the opposite of coming from a box. It sounds BIG.

The trem is wonderful and the verb is very good - way better than my Carr Mercury for example. The other thing I'd say is the 15" speaker is great. It's the first amp I've owned with one and it's nothing like any pre conceived idea I may have had. Big bass yes, but sparkling treble too. I have run it thru the Deluxe cab and the Carr, but choose the inboard speaker.

I can't recommend it highly enough in short. The Deluxe has it's own thing going on and in sone ways maybe has the slightest of edges in the ultimate tone, maybe, but the R can get virtually that and heaps more.

The Deluxe is far more portable though, and louder in a 2 x 6v6 configuration in my estimate, even though the Regal has a far more efficient speaker. Strange...

One final thing, I have run the Deluxe thru the Regal's 15" in an un-mic'd gig situation and the far more efficient R speaker gave the Deluxe a lot more volume again...