Victoria Regal Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Droptop, May 16, 2006.

1. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Has anyone tried one of these? The sound clips sound nice and lush.

2. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I played through a friends and I really liked it ....... he had 6L6s in it. I may be going to his place tonight to try it w/ 6v6s and to try his new Goodsell. He has cool amps but then again he has a real job.

Buddy

3. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Did you overdrive the amp at all? Wondering how it would sound with single coils.

4. BuddyGuit

Yes I turned it up to overdrive it and tried it w/ the Xotic BB preamp. IMHO it sounded verry nice w/ humbuckers and single coils .... though my treasure might be your trash.

Buddy

5. 6789

6789 Member

I used to own one. I liked it. It has a big full deep sound. Beautiful cleans.
    I played with single coils. I could overdrive it by turning up the amp volume or by using a Blackstone overdrive pedal.

I sold it because I needed some money. But when I bought a replacement amp I got A Juke 1210 because I wanted the ampeg style reverb and both tremolo and vibrato and more watts. Also I can dial up break-up/sweet spot at any volume on the Juke. The Regal needs to be turned up to get the sweet spot. I wish I could have kept the Regal and have two nice amps.

here's a link to a review of the Regal:

http://www.steelbender.com/spotlightvictoriaregal.html

6. Strat-o-Ck

Strat-o-Ck Guest

What was the breakup like on the Regal? Is there anything you can compare it too? Not the pedal, of course, but the sound of the amp breaking up.

Thanks

7. BuddyGuit

I was at my friends last night and played through his Regal (the new model Regal) and his new Goodsell. Both killer amps IMHO different but man .....

I liked the Regal more with two 6L6s rather than the 6V6s. I liked it with two for the added headroom I used my Ibanez AS-200 (from 1981) and an ASAT. The 6L6s were thicker than the 6V6s and I liked that. I liked the kind of hair it had too. I liked the Goodsell a lot too but you asked about the Regal.

Buddy

8. Strat-o-Ck

Strat-o-Ck Guest

thanks for the info. Was the breakup kind of raw sounding? Or was it smooth like a blackface amp?

Are they making them with two 6L6's now instead of just one?

9. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

Mark at Victoria is now making the Regal II with 2 6L6 tubes but it is not up on his website yet. You should call him and ask about it, he likes to talk about his amps.

10. 6789

6789 Member

A while back I posted clips of my Regal. it looks like they are still there.
    mine has one 6L6. actutally It's not my amp anymore - sold it. I liked the amp though.
    my clips aren't the best. but better than nothing. the amp sounds huge in person.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=117409

11. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

The type of breakup will vary depending on the type of tubes used. You can run it with one or two tubes to vary the volume. (6L6, 6V6, KT66) With two Groove tube 6L6's that have a "1" rating for the tube breakup level, it sounds really good. Not too raw, not too smooth, just right.

12. Strat-o-Ck

Strat-o-Ck Guest

The clips are nice. Gives a good idea of what the amp sounds like with something other than a sparkly Stratocaster. Sounds raw and throaty. Pretty exciting about the Regal II. I wish there was one to try out around here.

13. 6789

6789 Member

yeah, all my guitars are oddball guitars. If I had a strat or other common guitar, I'd have made some clips with it.