Victoria Regal tube question,

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gerald Fry, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Gerald Fry

Gerald Fry Member

Victoria Regal tube question, I bought a used Regal II, it came to me with a pair of EL34's,and that is way more power then I need. I want to run 6V6s in both power tube sockets, my question is, what rectifier should I use to power the 6V6's

2. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I prefer the 5Y3GT when using 6V6. The Regal manual does not say that you must do this. However, I have experienced some red plating with current production 6V6 so I feel better using the 5Y3. I seem to recall other Regal users on this board saying that Mark at Victoria recommends this even though the manual does not mention it.

3. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    agree w/Terry Hayes. I just leave a 5Y3 in the amp and play it. I like to use one 6V6 and one 6L6 - best of both of those worlds.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I agree.

I was the one who'd mentioned speaking with Mark about matching the rectifier tube to the output tube(s). So 5Y3GT (or Bendix 6106) with 6V6 types, or perhaps a 5R4GY (not 5AR4) with two of 'em. Generally you want to scale rectifier power to output tube power.

Have fun with your Regal!!

- Thom

Terry Hayes likes this.
  5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

:)
    Yes, I figured it was you who had originally brought this up. In fact, I really only posted so that the OP would have something to go on until you were able to show up in this thread and offer some good info:)

Timbre Wolf likes this.
  6. Gerald Fry

Gerald Fry Member

Thank you all who replied, this info will very useful, as I discover this great amplifier's possibilities, I've wanted one for age's and the wife finally allowed me to purchase one, the bad part is that I had to sell my Victoria 5112 to finance my Regal II, and that was AN AMP THAT i TRULY LOVED. No remorse though, as this is a great amp!

7. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

It is a great amp for sure with a unique tone and feel. I have 2 other amps (one of which is a Victoria 35310) but the Regal seems to be the amp that has become "my" sound.

8. Gerald Fry

Gerald Fry Member

The one I purchased is a blond tolex, I would of preferred tweed, but it had the speaker option that I wanted, which is the Weber AlNiCo 15", I have a Weber AlNiCo 12" Chicago, a high power rated speaker, that I want to try out in it, but first I have to build a 15 to 12 adaptor ring first. It's all gonna be fun!:)

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Love the blond tolex myself (it goes nicely with my Fulltone TTE:)) and my 35310 is tweed so i already had that one covered!

But I have heard good things about that amp when run with a 12" speaker.

10. Gerald Fry

Gerald Fry Member

I have the speaker, and liked the way it sounded in my 5112, and like to tinker, but my intentions are to roll with the 15"

11. Timbre Wolf

I've got one of those original AlNiCo Weber 15" that came with my amp. As I recall, the fine print says "ribbed, for your pleasure" :D I've long since replaced that speaker with my preferred Altec 418B. Would gladly pass the Weber along to a Regal owner who will give it a good home in their amp...
    [​IMG]
    That's mine, with previous tube lineup of metal-base GZ34, vintage GEC KT-66, Ken-Rad 6L6G, CBS 12BZ7 (reverb recovery & second gain stage/driver), a couple of Ken-Rad 12AX7 (including V1) and Mullard Tk1 12AT7 ('50s) for the reverb driver.

- Thom

12. Gerald Fry

Gerald Fry Member

That is a very nice amp, great array of tubes, I wish I had that speaker, with the ribbed for your sonic pleasure sticker, I would upload a photo of my new sweetie, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I just got my Regal, and haven't done anything to it yet, still getting to know it. My plan is to use a Sylvania gold brand, gold pinned 3 mica 5751 in V1, it is a great low noise, articulate tube, but I will wait until I get the power tube I want to roll with before I start on the preamp section, does that make since to you Thom? I have a pretty good collection of NOS USA tube's, I let my Bendix 5992 go with my Vic 5112, I wish I hadn't now, Gerald

13. Timbre Wolf

Makes perfect sense to me! Have fun choosing your sounds.

- Thom

14. sideman

sideman Member

Love my Regal. I tailor the tubes to the venue. For lower volume work, a pair of 6V6 (I like JJ) with a 5R4 or 5V4 rectifier - nice overdrive at modest volumes and good sag. If that's too mushy and can't cut through the mix, I'll swap in a 5AR4 (GZ34) to stiffen it up a bit. If that's not enough volume/clean, in go a pair of 6L6 tubes or Tung Sol 5881s.

Can't remember which rectifier I was using here, but always use JJ 6V6 in the Regal at this joint.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  15. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

you can just use 1-el34 for less power, if you like that flavor tube.

16. Timbre Wolf

I've never experience sag in my Regal, no matter what rectifier I use. In fact, one of the characteristics I appreciate in this amp is its quick attack, due to being single-ended. That fast attack brings out a kind of playing in me that suits certain kinds of music. At least that's been my experience. I'm curious what you're referring to as sag?

- Thom

17. sideman

sideman Member

It's one of the features that I rely on the Regal for modest volume roots gigs (vintage country, jazz standards, Chess style blues) where lots of dynamics and natural sounding compression are at a premium. It may be less apparent if you don't gig, but if you drive the amp it's there. And it can be addictive.

Tube rectifiers display “sag” when hit with a request for a lot of current - when the amp is working hard. Because they can’t do their job (converting raw AC voltage into DC voltage) instantly, and need a millisecond or two to get back up to speed. The result is a type of compression in sound and playing feel. There’s a slight sponginess, some give at the front of the note/chord that softens the attack, and a bloom as the tubes roar back to full voltage. Different tube rectifiers do this to different extents. A 5Y3 (usually found in smaller amps) exhibits the most sag. A GZ34/5AR4 (usually in larger amps with tighter response) sags very little until hit really hard.

Depending on your choice of rectifier, sag varies when you push your amp -- affecting attack, compression, dynamics, and touch-sensitivity. A solid state rectifier gives very fast rise time and response as the voltages are produced quickly. A tube rectifier yields more to the player's touch dynamics, sounds warmer, and gives compression and sustain in a different way. I love it like that.

18. Timbre Wolf

I'm well acquainted with sag, and know how tube rectifiers help it along - in push-pull power configurations. The Regal is a class-A dual single-ended amp, however, which explains why I've not experienced sag in it like I have in my tweed Bandmaster, for example. There's more leading to sag than just tube rectification vs. SS.

- T

Terry Hayes likes this.
  19. Gerald Fry

Gerald Fry Member

I want to thank everyone who joined in to help answer my questions, who needs an owners manual when there is a place like this with all these knowledgeable people, thanks a bunch you guys, I appreciate all the input, it was overwhelming how helpful you all are! Gerald

Timbre Wolf likes this.
  20. Gerald Fry

Gerald Fry Member

To follow up on my rectifier tube question for my Victoria Regal II Amplifier, cause I know your all curious what did he do,LOL, I went with a Sylvania Gold Brand vintage 5Y3GTA, it powers 2 Raytheon 6V6GT's and works just fine, it seems to provide plenty of power for 2 power tubes, it is typically used to power one 6V6, so I wasn't sure about running 2 of em, but so far no problems, and it sounds great! I have a shoe box that waas full of vintage tubes, so I replaced all the Russian tubes with vintage USA made tubes, and talk about a sonic improvement, man it is night and day the difference that the retube made, it had a very sterile sound when I got it with the 5U4 rectifier and EL34's, by Electro-Harmonix (made in Russia) and all the preamp tubes were JJ's 12AX7's with the exception of the 12AT7 in V2, which was a JAN Phillips (made in USA), and it stayed, really no reason to change it. so at this point with the amp, I am all good for awhile, I'm pickin and grinnin ;), and again I want to thank all of you who helped by answering my questions. G.

Terry Hayes likes this.