Victoria Victorilux vs Tone King Metro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dicky, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Dicky

Dicky Member

Currently looking to flip my Tone King Metro (112 combo) for a Victoria Victorilux (6L6 version w/212). While I know they are very different amps I'm curious what TGP has to say of the Victorilux. There's older threads I've read and Victoria is highly regarded but I don't have any local dealers. The Metro has been my main gigging amp for nearly 5 years but I've been leaning towards Fenders more as of late as opposed to Gibsons and while in theory the Metro should sound great with them it's not cutting it for me. I still love it with LPs, 335s and anything p90s but am looking for an all around strat/tele amp. I like the idea of having on board reverb and with its vintage vibe the Victorilux seems to have ended my search.

Anyone care to chime in with some Victorilux experience?

2. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I love Victoria amps. They are built extremely well! But I am pretty sure the Victorilux is basically a 6L6 Deluxe Reverb with bias modulation tremolo in tweed clothing. (Not that this is a bad thing, a very good thing in fact.) Correct me if I am wrong!

Now the Victoriette interests me, due to the EL84's. I would like to own one of those. Soul Cactus used to have their own version in dark green with wheat grillcloth. I regret not buying one.

3. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I've had 3 Tone King Meteors (kind of the previous Metropolitan), 3 6L6 Victorilux 3 x 10's and even a 2 x10 Victoria Victoriette.

The V-lux is going to be boomier than the Metro. It also has killer trem, which I don't think the Metro has (but the Meteors do). It's going to be fuller. It has a VERY unique breakup- rattier than a blackface amp, but not a ratty as a tweed. It's GREAT at edge of breakup. Kind of a squishy brownface.

One of the V-luxes I had was in lacquered tweed, straight from the factory. It was MUCH better than the other two, which were the standard tolex.

But the TK has two channels and a much brighter overall tone- then there's also the attenuator.

That Victoriette was a sweet little amp- used it and a pedal for practice for years. Love to bump into another one of those (it was not the Soul Cactus version). Unique to any other EL-84 amp I've ever owned (Mesa, Matchless, Dr. Z)

Unless you're really dialed into the adiitional fullness and boominess, I'd keep the Metro.

mcuguitar likes this.
  4. Dicky

Dicky Member

Thanks for the replies guys