1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Victoria vs. Clark.....opinions..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by randuro, Oct 4, 2006.

1. randuro

randuro Member

I have been Jonesing for a low watt tweed deluxe after playing a Victoria 20112. All you vintage guys chill out, the only tweed deluxe ('58 to be exact) in my neighborhood is going for $3500.00 and that'll get me divorced (yes, it's a bad thing:rolleyes: ). Now mind you the Vic is the only one I've tried...and I like it alot. Only problem is...it's the only one I've tried besides the "real deal", which by the way sounds every penny worth $3,500. Therein lies my problem, anything else would be bought sight/heard unseen. The Clark Beauford was also recommended by the dealer of the '58 Deluxe, which by the way, I believe is still available. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.:confused:

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I love my Vicky! Great amps and very well built!

3. ricoh

ricoh Member

I have had a Clark Tyger for five years and have played the **** out of it.
    I ordered a Beaufort and got it first but it did not have the kind of headroom that I knew I would need but it sounded awesome. I have not had one problem with my Clark. I do not have any experience with Victorias. In the tweed repro world Clark's are at the top of the heap

4. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

Swart AST falls into that Tweedy range. Lighter on the bank accounts heh.

5. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Reading comparisons of these two amp makers over the years, the edge always seems to go to Clark. I own a Vicky Bandmaster and a Clark Beaufort, and as far as I am concerned, they are equals.

If you want more headroom, the suggestion of the Swart AST is a good one. It isn't really a tweed voicing, but it gets close and offers a lot more versatility than the Beaufort.

6. pm81

pm81 Member

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

mike's work is the only tweed work i'd ever buy.

8. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Third option is Clay Hullett. I have loved mine for almost 10 years.

www.hullettamps.com

[​IMG]

And the pretty girl is still doing fine.

9. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

jae, how the hell are you? I miss you around here.

10. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

One of my few regrets in life, Pete, is that I never ordered an amp from Clay. I still might – and I'm glad you keep his name alive.

11. JDJ

JDJ Member

[​IMG]

What kind of 'coon is that anyhow on yer Hullett? :D

12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Clark does tend to get rated higher than Victoria.

Seems like a Victoria is easier to get yer mitts on though.

I recently scored a Lil Dawg Deluxe clone that I am digging and it was a fraction of the Vicky or Clark price.

I also have a Vicky, but after playing the LD I will probably never spend that kind of money on an amp again.

13. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

There is something to be said for buying the actual amp that you tried. However, every Victoria I have ever played sounded fantastic. I have a Victoria 35310 and love it.

Terry

14. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I have some old tweed Deluxes. They are what they are. Recently I played a Clark. It's as good as an old one so don't stroke about it, plus it had a better speaker than a P12R. One thing it really did better than my main old one was the deal where you turn the volume control way up on the channel you're NOT using for a nice clean tone. Mine hums too much when I do that, the Clark didn't hum at all. I put a Celestion n-dym Century in my old Deluxe. It was like adding 10 watts! More efficient than a JBL and more bass. You do have to turn the tone knob down because the celestion is a bright speaker. These amps are cathode bias and I used mine with 6L6s when I gigged it in blues bands. That gave it a slight bit more clarity. 6V6s always sound congested or something to my ears.

15. CarlH

CarlH Member

I've owned both and I think they are equal in quality. Some people claim the Clark has better quality. I don't agree. They both use basically the same parts except the transformers and capacitors and speakers.

Clark uses the oil-in-foil caps, which may be higher quality in some people's eyes, but those caps are not anything like what the original tweeds used, which was poly foil. Clark also adjusts the B+ voltage to account for the higher AC line voltages that we now have compared to the '50's.

However, I don't like how both of them use the old Fender circuit board material. That stuff is subject to warpage and it can and often does become conductive with moisture from humidity which will cause noise and other electrical problems (just like the originals). That is one area where they should have used G10 or some better board material IMO. Other than that big detail, they are both great replicas of the orignals.

Neither will nail the tone of a good original IMO, but I don't want to get in a debate about that becuase YMMD.

16. myles111

myles111 Member

I think either of these amps would be an amp you'd have for decades and smile every time you play.

17. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I found the tone I was looking for using the sample files on Victoria's website (the Victorilux).

I bought the amp, plugged in a strat, and in about 30 seconds, I had the tone from the website.

That's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

18. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Tha'ts a Billie-Coon. We almost lost her last spring but miraculously, she got better. She still likes the amp, except when I'm playing through it.

19. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

By the way my Vicky 35115 is up for grabs for only $1200.00. You guys know what they go for new.

Johnny