Victoria vs Fxxxxx Custom Deluxe '57

scottcityman

Platinum Supporting Member
Bought brand name "hand wired" ($2k new) tweed clone. Sounds great but the build is a little shabby imo. Cabinet, handle etc feels cheap.

Got a Victoria (also pricey brand) tweed clone -far superior fit/finish.

Night and day build quality. Both sound great though..

scottcityman

Platinum Supporting Member
I think I was a little too cute in my original post… Trying not to badmouth fender. Partly because I really like a lot of fender stuff and own a ton of it including new stuff.
What I was trying to say is that Fender custom shop amps are quite shoddy compared to a Victoria based on my recent experience.
as I said before both sounded great.completely different amps though

MRscratch

a few years ago i made a video of both together.
look for " scratchplaysloud" on youtube. look for victoria 20112 vs 57 deluxe. its on there.

Broomz

I have the same Fender and it's my favorite amp. Mine has a Scumnico in it. I bonded hard with that amp. A joy to play. I also just got a Victoria 35210. It has nice cloth-covered wires inside, but I don't consider the Fender "shoddy", by any stretch of the imagination, in comparison. (I prefer the Fender Tweed color, now that you mentioned it.)

In your video– only listening through phone speaker, so not a very scientific opinion here– I think you actually sound better through the Fender. But in any case, they are both solidly built, in my view.

It is perhaps true that if I were to turn them around and use the exposed backs as decorative pieces in my home, the insides of the Victoria are prettier from a handiwork perspective. But I don't use my amps in this way.

Last edited:

neteraser

1. That video shows it. No comment eva.

2. Criticizing big manufacturers for what small ones do better is stupid. I only say that because I believe the OP is not entirely stupid.

Please tell us about the differences in their sounds.
3. Yep, that's straight to the point.

4. One advice, if you'll allow me. Give yourself some time before you make your decision. Fender recognition & appericiation may take some time. You better not know what I initially thought my first American Standard Strat. Hahahaha :) But that was total trash. Years passed, I still have this guitar AND became a better player with it.

MRscratch

I have the same Fender and it's my favorite amp. Mine has a Scumnico in it. I bonded hard with that amp. A joy to play. I also just got a Victoria 35210. It has nice cloth-covered wires inside, but I don't consider the Fender "shoddy", by any stretch of the imagination, in comparison. (I prefer the Fender Tweed color, now that you mentioned it.)

In your video– only listening through phone speaker, so not a very scientific opinion here– I think you actually sound better through the Fender. But in any case, they are both solidly built, in my view.

It is perhaps true that if I were to turn them around and use the exposed backs as decorative pieces in my home, the insides of the Victoria are prettier from a handiwork perspective. But I don't use my amps in this way.
i actually like the fender better in hindsight. a little more soft and smooth. i bet the Vicky would sound pretty close with the jensen i bet. i never tried that.

Broomz

i actually like the fender better in hindsight. a little more soft and smooth. i bet the Vicky would sound pretty close with the jensen i bet. i never tried that.
It was hard to tell in the video because you played with a looser energy when you switched to the Fender where you were playing more "cautiously", or as if evaluating the sound, through the Victoria. That was probably a bigger part of the difference than the amps themselves.

MRscratch

It was hard to tell in the video because you played with a looser energy when you switched to the Fender where you were playing more "cautiously", or as if evaluating the sound, through the Victoria. That was probably a bigger part of the difference than the amps themselves.
ya i probably did. didn't think to just play the same thing. I just had both with me and the new pedals and thought it would be cool to do.
If i recall, the Fender did have a more fluid feel. I kept the Vicky because i was touring and it was tighter. That for sure hade to do with the Eminence as well. I really liked the P12 in the Fender. The fender also had a smoother distortion than the vicky.
again probably that jensen
I wish i kept the Fender, but i now have a 57 Harvard. and i like that circuit better :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom