Victoria vs Tone King

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pogorman, Dec 22, 2009.

1. pogorman

pogorman Member

Ok...let me narrow it down for you. I know a dude that now owns 3 Victorias. He ordered his first, I believe a Regal II, and fell in love. He liked the Regal II so much he turned around and sent his Vibroverb back to Elderly and ordered up an Electro King. He liked it so much he cancelled his order for a Tone King Metropolitan and ordered up a Golden Melody.

All that said...I pulled the trigger on a Golden Melody last night. I own a Tone King Metro and it is definitely the nicest amp I've ever owned.

Will the Golden Melody replace it? I fully realize that one man's drug may be another man's droppings...but what are the thoughts out there on Vics versus Tone King?

2. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

Had the Metro and the Golden Melody.
    Both great amps.
    Metro is like a big Deluxe Reverb.
    GM is a huge sounding, more old school blues tone.

I don't think either will replace the other. But both do what they do very well.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

One's a 2x12 and the other is a 1x12, right? Might be a little hard to compare the two....

4. goodandswarty

goodandswarty Member

barneyfife... would you mind if i asked why you got rid of both amps? and what did you get rid of them for?

5. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

I have a tone King Meteor II that I play on the lead channel with EL34's and I love the sound. I love the Metro but the Meteor fit me a little better.

Got rid of the Vicky because it was overwhelming the other guitarists rig and that just was not going to fly.

Absolutely no reflection on either amp.

6. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

You made a wise choice friend. I have two victorias,a REGAL 2 and a Victoriette. The Regal 2 is indeed a great amp. I hope that you are totally happy with your choice.

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've yet to play a tone king, but i've played two victorias and was very, very impressed with how they sounded, build quality, etc.

i'm more of a marshall/vox guy, but if i had the dough, i'd pick up a Victoria 35310 in a heartbeat....

8. mojovaughan

mojovaughan Member

Yes, that guy was really smart to buy the Vicky's v.s. the Tone Kings.
    Vicky's are the very best of all there is that is realitive to Tone.
    Enjoy the Metropolitan...but if you're dead serious get a Victoria.

9. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Ridiculous. There is no 'best' in this range. Only different flavors. I find TL amps to be much more useful in real life situations. Very versatile and excellent in most areas.