Victoriette vs. Gries Twenty Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by phusana, Jan 17, 2008.

1. phusana

phusana Member

If anyone has had a chance to try both of these out (alternatively the Victorilux/Gries 35), I would love to hear your impressions of how they stack up against each other.

The Victorilux I had a chance to try was VERY impressive, but the Gries seems worth comparing it to... Finding one to try out (within a few hours drive) however, is not easy.

I'm looking for a great, portable blues amp with reverb, 20-35 Watts, 1-12, $2k or less. I'm open to other suggestions also, but there have been a lot of those discussions here already...

Am I the only guy who has a problem dropping $2k on an amplifier they haven't had a chance to play through??? Thanks for your help!

2. Alpha Audio Works

Alpha Audio Works Member

Greetings! Just spotted your thread. We are a Gries dealer and currently have a 20 in stock on the floor. We're in Mystic CT and only about an hour and a half away from you. Please feel free to contact us with any questions. Thanks!
    ( 860 ) 572 - 0460
    www.alphaaudioworks.com

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have a Gries 35 and also play blues. That amp is the nicest I've owned in over 40 years and IMO definitely worth looking at for your needs.

I wish I could give you a comparison with the Victorilux but I haven't had the opportunity to play through that amp.

If I were you, I'd make the drive to Aplha and try the Gries 20. It's 6V6 powered but has all the features of the 35 and you'll still get an idea of the build quality of the Gries line.

Good luck in your search.

4. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

+1 on driving to that store in Mystic and checking out the Gries for yourself. I love my Gries 5 and you owe it to yourself to try a Gries in person. They are made really well, sound absolutely great and are a real bargain in this world of boutique amps...
    haven't played the other amp, although if that is a Victoria, my sense is that most of their amps are more along the lines of Fender tweed whereas Gries amps are more blackface Fender in their cleans at least. the Gries amps have that cool trick, though, of dialing out the tone stack as you dial up the gain and so you really get blackface cleans and tweedy overdriven sounds...kind of the best of both worlds and so the Gries amps are quite versatile...

5. Alpha Audio Works

Alpha Audio Works Member

Forgot to mention we also have the Gries 35 and 18 in stock. Can't seem to keep the fives here.... Why is that??? :eek:)

6. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

I need to correct something in this quote. The Gries 5, which farlowhigh owns, has this feature - the "Gain" control that lifts the EQ out of the circuit. The 20 & 35 that madvek is asking about does not have this same "Gain".

7. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Both cool amps. I prefer the 1 x 12 of the Gries to the 2 x 10 Victoriette. The Victoriette has nice chimy EL84 tones where the Gries 20 uses 6v6's. For my taste I've always thought EL84's were too bright for single coils and break up and compress too fast for humbuckers. The Gries doesn't have tremolo. They're kind of different amps. I recently checked out the Gries 18 and 20 and for some reason I gravitated more toward the 18...no reverb just killer tone.

Gries amps are a hell of a bargain.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

That, they are. :AOK

9. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

10. phusana

phusana Member

Thanks for all the feedback! After reading more about the Gries, I'm thinking maybe the Gries "five" might be enough amp for playing small rooms with some serious tone.

11. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I have a hard time believing the 5 would work in a band situation. Maybe a solo act or something scaled down. That said I haven't tried the 5 but I have tried the 18, 20 and 35. The 18 is gig worthy...not sure about the 5 but I'll let Dave chime in.

12. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

The Gries 5 is definitely the loudest 5 watter I have ever heard and I think you could definitely use it for small gigs. I believe that Dave Gries and his wife use the Gries 5 out on small gigs. Obviously a bit hard to generalize about since volume needs can vary so much in different places...all the more reason to check one out in person and see if it would be enough for your particular situation...if you bought the head, you could also get some more volume with more efficient speakers and there is also a configuration of the Gries 5 where you can use a 6L6 instead of the usual 6v6 and I would imagine that could put out a bit more volume than the 6v6...

Dave, sorry about the misinformation! I have only played the Gries 5 and I thought that lifting eq trick was also there on the 20...my mistake!

Definitely go try a Gries 5 in person...I think you will be surprised at how loud it can get (the master volume is actually a really nice thing to have because of the surprising amount of volume available) and the cleans are really really nice...excellent platform for pedals as well...I haven't found a pedal yet that didn't meld well with this amp...great amp and definitely a great bargain!

13. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Can't help you at all with the Gries

I just sold a 6L6 3 x10 Victorilux (to milesat) but still have a 2 x 10 El-84 Victoriette. I kept a Vibro King because its similar to the Victorilux.

Bear in mind that both the Vicky's can be had in either an EL-84 or 6L6 format (along with lots of speaker choices)

Milesat hit the nail on the head on the EL84 distinction and those characteristics (brighter with single coils, break up and compress more quickly with humbuckers) were well defined with my two Vickys. The 6L6 Victorilux is bigger, lusher, rounder, fuller wherein the EL-84 Victoriette is sweeter, brighter, and yes, more chimey. However, my Victoriette is not anywhere near as inherently bright as two other EL-84 amps I have (or had); a Boogie LSS and a Z MAz 38.

I've always considered a 6V6 amp somewhere between the two.

To answer your question, I've dropped over (and sometimes WELL over) $1500.00 each on at least 5 amps that I wasn't able to play thru. No disappointments at all; using sound clips and TGP as a resource, each of those amps was very close to what I expected.

I'm not saying everyone should; I'm just saying that I have.

Hope this helps and good luck.

14. evbrad2007

evbrad2007 Member

I also have a Victoriette (1x12, El84) which I absolutely love. I have such an attachment to this thing that I've done everything creative that I can to keep from selling it in the face of some unexpected bills, though I have come close out of necessity. I have even let a Goodsell Super 17 combo and Heritage Victory head go rather than give up my Vicky...there's just something about it. I'm currently running it with a 30w ceramic Silver Bell w/pre-rola doping together with the Greenback it originally came with in a Jenkins cab...can't rave enough about the tones. The cleans are sweet and dimensional, the light OD is very impressive (great touch sensitivity)...and the heavier OD tones get into a mean, nasty growl...sort of a pissed off sound...love it! I've heard the tone described as sort of tweedish/brownish/slightly blackfacish cleans with more of an AC15 sort of thing coming in the more you push it. Definitely has its own voice. If you're leaning more toward pure blackface tone, from all I have heard, it sounds like the Gries will be more what you are looking for.

15. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Great amp - no doubt about it!

Terry

16. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

Howdy,
    I've had both amps and currently still have a gries 35... they both do the Fender thing but in a different way... I changed the speaker in the Gries to a Hellatone 30, with this speaker and the bright switch engaged it's about as Fender as you can get, the bottom is very big but tight and the top comes out just right using the bright switch... playing the blues with strats...

Steve :BEER