Victorilux 6l6 recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tallhorses, May 5, 2008.

1. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I'm really digging my Victorilux and I've got it sounding killer see tubes below! The only issue is the power tubes and I'm looking for a better 6l6 recommendation. I've tried two sets of Winged "C" and although they sound good they rattle a bit on certain notes...both pairs from different dealers. Tried JJ's...really liked the tone but those crapped out prematurely and didn't seem too reliable.

V1 NOS RCA 7025
    V2 NOS MULLARD CV4024
    V3 NOS Tesla ECC83
    V4 NOS Tesla ECC83 (PI)
    WINGED "C" 6L6'S
    NOS JAN PHILLIPS 5AR4

How are the Groove Tube 6L6GC's? what else is out there?

2. Brien

Brien Member

I have really liked the TAD 6L6s in mine. I also like the Winged Cs.

3. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I did like them in my Headstrong.... Any reliability issues with TAD?

4. Brien

Brien Member

I've had good luck, and I know they are going in a lot of the new Victorias.

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'm using the new Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's in my '64 Vibrolux Reverb,'60 Super and Tweed Bandmaster clone. To my ear these are the best sounding new production 6L6. I even prefer them over some NOS stuff.

6. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

if you'd care to spend some dough, you cant beat the old U.S. GE 6L6

7. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I guess that's why I'm wondering about the Groove Tube 6L6GC...thought they were made in the old GE factory etc... They're not exactly cheap at 60 bucks... if these don't do it for me I'll bite the bullet and go NOS, GE, Sylvania or RCA....

8. vandi

vandi Supporting Member

Being an owner of a 1x15 6L6 Victorilux for several years I have to say that es137p is right on the money. Something about the inherent "brown-ness" of the Victorilux and the darker/warmer grind the old GE 6L6's give up when you push them..... just works really well together. I tried a ton of tubes in my Victorilux and the GE's were great. One tip, don't waste your time with 7581's. The output transformer did not like them and the amp produced very harsh highs when pushed with these tubes.

my $.02
    -vandi

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

No idea on the Vlux.

I do have the stock GT 6L6GC tubes in a 57 RI Tweed Twin. First time I've like GT stuff in a long time. They sound quite good. I've also had great luck with JJs. It varies amp to amp ... when I got my Sewell Wampus Cat, Dr. Rico told me the JJs would be hard to beat. He was right; after testing several others, including NOS 7581A types and Phillips 6L6WGB, the JJs went back in. At least in that amp, they're an excellent choice. No reliability problems so far. YMMV.

10. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I went with the GT 6L6GC's... so far so good. They sound a little more punchy that the SED's... I like them a lot. I'll try the NOS GE's when I get a few more bucks together.

Hey...my spare pair of SED Winged C 6l6gc's are for sale! Just popped them in for a test...less than an hour on them! LOL!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=391392